Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am humbled, excited, and honored to welcome the Great Jimmy Halperin to the Phil-Tone family of endorsers. Jimmy was recently in Copenhagen and picked up the Intrepid Tenor Mouthpiece from i.k. Gotfried. He has played with Wayne Marsh, Lennie Tristano, Dominic Duval and more. His style and creativity are unique and always intriguing. I hope to at some point have a clip to share.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I am humbled, excited, and honored to welcome the Great Jimmy Halperin to the Phil-Tone family of endorsers. Jimmy was recently in Copenhagen and picked up the Intrepid Tenor Mouthpiece from i.k. Gotfried. He has played with Wayne Marsh, Lennie Tristano, Dominic Duval and more. His style and creativity are unique and always intriguing. I hope to at some point have a clip to share.
Great to hear that, funny thing I really love some of what he does and really dislike some.

·
4,580 Posts
Nice score Phil, I recently learned of him as a player and really like what he does. I look forward to hearing him on the Intrepid.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Phil - Great news, congratulations! As it happens, I spent a good part of yesterday listening to Jimmy, Warne Marsh and a guy named Charley Krachy who studied with the late Connie Cruthers.

Of course I have to ask....what tip opening does Jimmy play?

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I believe he bought a 7*
Possibly an 8

I know I have not sent large (or small) sizes to Gotfried so my guess is 7*. I didnt ask.

·
1,376 Posts
FWIW, that's WARNE. I've seen Lee Konitz cut people off in a public forum for getting that wrong. Jimmy used to have lessons with Sal Mosca before Phil Barone.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Phil, Jimmy is working as my sideman on a gig April 26. Of course, you didn't ask me to endorse it, but I love your Solstice, which has become my main piece.

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Allen,

I honestly dont keep up with the who's who in the modern sax world. I usually find out from others who are playing my pieces and they suggest I make contact.

...marketing is my weak point for sure. But thats fine, Id rather just make mouthpieces!

Im glad you are digging the Solstice. I just looked...your all over the net...see...I didnt even know! I guess I live with my head in the sand :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
not a problem; I actually stopped playing for almost 20 years so the list of who doesn't know me grows larger....my ego comes and goes at different levels of fragility.

I have two of your pieces now and grow more impressed by the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts