Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1959 on a Link STM
1961 on what looks AND sounds like a stainless steel Berg.

Jimmy is outstanding regardless, but for me, much better on the Berg. What a great player, somewhat forgotten at this point, but these records IMO have really held up very well and have a lot to offer us in 2019. The water they drank and air they breathed was different back then ya know.

. 1959 (w Elvin Jones!)

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok now I’m having some internal conflict on this. He sounds superb on both. Maybe I like all the plate reverb one the 1961 record, while the 1959 has really virtually no reverb effect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Beyond the differences usually associated to these pieces (berg: brighter, foccused, more percussive; link: warmer, wider, more fluid), I feel the tone of the berg more locked in. It's beautiful, but always the same kind of beautiful, while the link seems to be more flexible.

·
12,703 Posts
It is really difficult to make a choice. They are different but he still has his own vibe on both. He seems to bridge the gap between earlier jazz with more vibrato and what became more modern jazz in the Rollins/Trane era.

Its some tasty playing on both.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The setup on the Black Forrest cover from 59 looks like an SBA with a NY double ring?--it looks to have the large bite plate. I am guessing he used the same Link and SBA on that other great recording of his from 1959 'All the gin is gone'.
He sounds killer on both of these setups, the Link has warmth and colour, the Berg an edge and perhaps a different emotional palette...and 50 more decibels, but they both sing and bring out different facets of the great Mr Forrest.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
For me it's unquestionably Black Forrest. Jimmy Forrest is Jimmy Forrest, but add Elvin Jones, Harold Mabern, Grant Green, and a recording that doesn't stick his tenor off in the left channel with reverb all over everything...I like both, but will be adding Black Forrest to my collection.

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The debate rages on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts