Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to take the Jazzmaster Workout workshop as well as private lessons that Jim Grantham offers in Oakland, CA. Curious if anyone has taken these before and has any feedback to offer? I am a beginner and have been playing the sax for the past year and a half.

Thanks,
Vansh

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I knew Jim many years ago. I can say that you could hear the improvements from every single student of his without fail. He knows what he is doing.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Wow, great to hear he's still teaching! I can highly recommend Jim. I took his class on jazz improv about 25 years ago. I learned all about chords, progressions, song form, everything you need to know from a theory standpoint to improvise. It was by far the best course on music I ever took. Plus he's a great sax player. So you should get a lot out of this!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kritavi and JL. I attended the first class and it was really good. My only concern is that it's going to test my very ordinary singing skills :) Just kidding - I think the ear training is going to be very useful. I'll start a private lesson too in a week or two and see how that goes.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Yes, he's big on ear training, singing scales, chord arpeggios, intervals, etc. You don't need a good singing voice. The idea is to get the sound in your mind. And singing those intervals will do the job. It's much more valuable than you might think and one of the real keys to improvising.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts