Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this one is kind of a shameless plug but it's a great chance to hear one of THE finest altoists around anywhere in this world. Also a heck of a guy who I recently got to meet while he was in NYC playing at Dizzy's.

Here's Jesse playing on the new Ted Klum Acoustimax VersiTone sounding like bad mother jumper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mBkP67Fd-o

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I'm a longtime fan of Jesse, but this mouthpiece seems too bright and makes his tone sound thinner. IMHO.
I Suppose it could just be the recording, though.

·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a longtime fan of Jesse, but this mouthpiece seems too bright and makes his tone sound thinner. IMHO.
I Suppose it could just be the recording, though.
Yes Jessie is the man for sure. I can't say that anything on this planet could make his sound thin though. You should have heard it here at the production facility .... what can I say but Bird Lives.

·
1,629 Posts
Sebastian,

Do you know what size Acoustimax Jesse was playing on that clip? He's my hero on alto sax! I've always wanted to know what tip sizes he uses on alto.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sebastian, thanks for posting that clip.

Although its a bit dark, he looks to be playing a mk6 . I have never seen him on one before.
Can you confirm. Is it his sax?

thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
What is the main difference between acoustimer and -max besides price and hand finishing. Is it because no hand finishing you have be lucky with rails and tip etc.

·
1,596 Posts
What is the main difference between acoustimer and -max besides price and hand finishing. Is it because no hand finishing you have be lucky with rails and tip etc.
No they are all hand finished, it's just that there is less because the blanks are already really accurate but each one is still hand finished. and unlike the Acoustimer which I believe you could ask Ted to do a little bit of custom work to have the piece to your preference the AcoustiMax is just finished to Ted's specs and thats it.

correct me if i'm wrong Sebastian but I think this some of the differences on why the price is different.

·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main differences between the two models are the chamber design, the material and the sizes they are available in. The new VersiTone in Acoustimax is made out of a very very different material and consequently the method of manufacture is completely different. The original Acoustimer series are made in a way that they are like rough(er) blanks and then have to be redone entirely. The new Acoustimax line is hand finished but not hand-made, if you get my meaning.

I would like to point out that a considerable amount of time, money, fine revisions have gone into the making of the Acoustimax VersiTone. Absolutely every aspect of this piece has been decided and watched over by Ted with his considerable ability to make this a product that he would put his name on. I've never worked for someone who was more eager to hear what is wrong with a product than what is right so that he can make changes.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and unlike the Acoustimer which I believe you could ask Ted to do a little bit of custom work to have the piece to your preference the AcoustiMax is just finished to Ted's specs and thats it.

correct me if i'm wrong Sebastian but I think this some of the differences on why the price is different.
Acoustimer Signature lines are and have always been completely re-done with extensive baffle and tip work. Bench time is definitely a factor in the cost of the Acoustimer models.

Are you still loving the D you bought? I sure hope so!!!

·
1,596 Posts
Acoustimer Signature lines are and have always been completely re-done with extensive baffle and tip work. Bench time is definitely a factor in the cost of the Acoustimer models.

Are you still loving the D you bought? I sure hope so!!!
Yeah Sebastian, the piece is amazing, I love it. I'm just trying to dial in the reed. It seems to like Stiff Rico Royal 3's and 3.5's. I'm going to trying some Rico Select Jazz in the Unfilled and filed and see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts