Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
And? The point is?

Do you think he would sound materially different playing a Yamaha YTS-23, or a clapped out Pan American, or a Buescher True Tone with a Conn neck?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
And? The point is?

Do you think he would sound materially different playing a Yamaha YTS-23, or a clapped out Pan American, or a Buescher True Tone with a Conn neck?
Yes, I do think he would sound different. That's not to say he would sound BAD. But, he would definitely sound different.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And? The point is?

Yeah, I think he'd sound different. He'd sound like Bergonzi no matter what he played, but everything makes some difference. Here's Kim Boch playing one of his necks compared to an original SBA neck that goes with the horn he's playing, and if you're using good headphones you can definitely hear a difference. The KB neck has a bit more brilliance and presence I think, where the SBA neck is mellower sounding. Whether you think it makes a big enough difference to warrant a purchase in excess of $1000 is up to you though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-eDvYsuMxo

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I’m interested but why so many different models? It seems you just would make one that worked the best and be done with it.
At that price I’d have to go to the shop and sit down with them but if there was one model, I’d try it even with a restocking fee.
I do think he’d sound about the same on any horn but as he says in the video, it’s about the feel of the articulation as you’re playing and how it affects your time feel.

Kind of strange I just watched this before I clicked on the forum. I’m looking for a replacement for a BA neck and the KB neck comes up first in my google search.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,792 Posts
Yeah, I think he'd sound different. He'd sound like Bergonzi no matter what he played, but everything makes some difference. Here's Kim Boch playing one of his necks compared to an original SBA neck that goes with the horn he's playing, and if you're using good headphones you can definitely hear a difference. The KB neck has a bit more brilliance and presence I think, where the SBA neck is mellower sounding. Whether you think it makes a big enough difference to warrant a purchase in excess of $1000 is up to you though.

Wow! I hear a difference for sure with the Kim Boch video. Kind of like the brighter neck although I tried a neck from the BSS a few weeks ago and I didn't like how much brighter it was but it is probably all tied to what mouthpiece you are using also........

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,792 Posts

Also, what is the tune he plays at :43. I know it but cannot remember the name for the life of me..........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m interested but why so many different models? It seems you just would make one that worked the best and be done with it.
At that price I’d have to go to the shop and sit down with them but if there was one model, I’d try it even with a restocking fee.
I do think he’d sound about the same on any horn but as he says in the video, it’s about the feel of the articulation as you’re playing and how it affects your time feel.

Kind of strange I just watched this before I clicked on the forum. I’m looking for a replacement for a BA neck and the KB neck comes up first in my google search.
I suppose there're so many different models because they all play a bit differently and are supposed to help you get different sounds. You should email Kim, and ask what neck he thinks would be for you, depending on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! I hear a difference for sure with the Kim Boch video. Kind of like the brighter neck although I tried a neck from the BSS a few weeks ago and I didn't like how much brighter it was but it is probably all tied to what mouthpiece you are using also........
The difference is definitely there. I think I like the KB neck more in that video, seems to have more presence, and Kim's getting that Coltrane like - bright - but not harsh sound up around the palm keys.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think the tune Bergonzi starts playing at 2.32 is La Mesha by Kenny Dorham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZAH5UsoZI
I love how Bergonzi sounds on this setup, this is a distinctive voice, it has a focus, clarity and depth that I like. I have a KB neck, it is a very nice piece of kit, saxophone toys are a fun distraction.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I think the tune Bergonzi starts playing at 2.32 is La Mesha by Kenny Dorham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZAH5UsoZI
I love how Bergonzi sounds on this setup, this is a distinctive voice, it has a focus, clarity and depth that I like. I have a KB neck, it is a very nice piece of kit, saxophone toys are a fun distraction.
You’re right. it’s La Mesha.
I’ve had that other tune in my head since I’ve been playing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts