Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm listening to "I Never Knew" from "Roamin' with Richardson" and as someone who was mostly familiar with his lead Alto playing on the Thad and Mel Orchestra, his Bari playing knocks me out! He had a great sound and style on the big horn.

Can anyone shed light on his Baritone setup? Based on the Sax Journal interview he did years ago, he played a Bb MkVI but I am curious about mouthpiece (he used Links on Alto and Tenor) and reeds (seemed to use LaVoz).

I would also appreciate recommendations for other recordings on which he plays Bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Sounds a bit too bright so... Berg chamber 0? Great playing too. Jerome composed Groove Merchant among other tunes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jerome Richardson is on the Mingus Mingus Mingus etc and Black Saint and Sinner Lady Charles Mingus Impulse recordings, he also plays Bass Clarinet, Oboe and Soprano saxophone

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
Sounds like a Berg on Black Saint etc too. I should have known, because it's my favorite Mingus album after Blues & Roots.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input so far, particularly with some recommended recordings. I tend to agree that Richardson's Bari sound seems more Berg than Link. In fact one reviewer noted that they heard similarities to Pepper Adams in Richardson's baritone playing.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There are pictures on an old Gary McFarland Big Band at Town Hall recording on impulse (long out of print, I’m sure) that show Jerome Richardson playing on a metal Link on bari. Of course I’ve also seen pictures of him playing a white Brilhart on alto, with Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis, so it just shows again that the sound you hear in your head is as important as the equipment you use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts