Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Dave,
That was very nice of you to put this up. A wonderful surprise, to say the least.
Jeff sounds fantastic!
Really love his playing and sound here. Thank you for posting this and I will add this to the website.
So glad he is enjoying the mouthpiece. He sounds so comfortable on it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:cheers:

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Modern mouthpiece. Crappy crap. He needs to throw it in the garbage NOW. :)

Seriously Jeff sounds tremendous on the Daddy-O...what a great alto sound. He shouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for sharing, Dave!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
He shouldn't change a thing.

- Saxaholic
Well, maybe his underwear every other day...........

I enjoyed listening to him play. Nice sound and even though he's playing fast (heaven help us) at points, his note choices make sense.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
I watched him playing fast, and at one point I thought, “Take a breath”. LOL
His video was a real joy to listen to.
I am very proud of my mouthpieces and it’s always a joy to hear players enjoying them. .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have no doubt that this is the sound that makes JR happy
but the sound is somehow, a bit thin for my taste...

Sorry guys if someone will be disgruntled of this comment: just my opinion
Great playing anyway

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
According to Dave Pollack's comment on YouTube it's a #5 strength
Yes, he is using a 5 tip opening, .072. and a 5 Fibracell.

I’m the opposite from Jeff, I like to use a very big tip opening on alto with a medium reed.
On tenor, I like to use a small tip opening with a medium reed.
It’s very important that we each find what suits us best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no doubt that this is the sound that makes JR happy
but the sound is somehow, a bit thin for my taste...

Sorry guys if someone will be disgruntled of this comment: just my opinion
Great playing anyway
It’s most likely the Blue Yeti USB mic he’s using - the sound is big and fat in person!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I use a Blue Yeti USB microphone for work, and it does tend to make things a bit tinnier than normal. It also has a weird vibrating thing going on where there can be this annoying vibration in the microphone itself that it somehow picks up on. Not recommended for saxophone recording IMO. That being said, I don't think it sounds thin in the recording, at all. If his sound is bigger and fatter in person then that's a bonus.

Also goes to show that how we record ourselves and how we listen to music matters as well. Listening on a crappy cell phone speaker vs. a nice set of high-quality headphones makes a world of difference in how a recording sounds.

Obviously a killer player with a great sound; would love to hear more. Dave, maybe you and him should go in the studio and do a recording. Alto and tenor 10mfan pieces at the same time? That'd be pretty cool.

- Saxaholic

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obviously a killer player with a great sound; would love to hear more. Dave, maybe you and him should go in the studio and do a recording. Alto and tenor 10mfan pieces at the same time? That'd be pretty cool.

- Saxaholic
I would love that! It would have to be remote recordings, but that's no problem. Otherwise next year I'll be back there (hopefully!)

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
I definitely want to visit Australia.
Next year we are taking a two-week cruise to France, Italy, and Spain. I’m so looking forward to that.
Australia is definitely on the bucket list! ....maybe the following year.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I definitely want to visit Australia.
Next year we are taking a two-week cruise to France, Italy, and Spain. I’m so looking forward to that.
Australia is definitely on the bucket list! ....maybe the following year.
I love it so much! The plan is for me to go every year now...let me know when you start planning it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts