Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a week!!

First Ernie Watts was at my home Monday while in town<see my Rico blog for details> for jazz fest...then my former student Erin Stroup sends me a TV clip on education with Jeff Coffin that made it on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8G0dWqReiI

Check out what Jeff Coffin said about me at 1:45-1:46 on you tube- NICE!!!:)
MADE MY DAY, And shows not only those of us who are fighting in the trenches for MUSIC EDUCATION in all levels but...It's hanging tough and my former students who can really teach/play etc ( Stroup recorded with Mintzer BTW-and did a tune of mine from the 1990's!! ) BUT....It shows that persistance, love of the music and knowing NOT to give up < which I tell EVERY student> and keep doing it.

FOR ME....Not only Coffins beautiful words about me but the fact that a student of mine has made a difference in a school system!! To be honest...I FEEL GREAT BECAUSE OF THIS. It's a positive thing. I FEEL GREAT!!!

Thanks.:)

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Great clip. I never listened much to Jeff Coffin, a buddy of mine had an extra ticket a few weeks back so I checked him out. Not only is Coffin a great musician, but he is a very good entertainer.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great clip. I never listened much to Jeff Coffin, a buddy of mine had an extra ticket a few weeks back so I checked him out. Not only is Coffin a great musician, but he is a very good entertainer.
Jeff, is a very different kinda player too. Really enjoy what he does- alto sound is so nice too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It was wonderful to see those young people with their teacher. You can tell right away the this guy listens and is most likely still involved with his instrument. I would also suspect that they have good funding and a supportive administration which is also essential. All of these things are rare in my experience in music education. You'll notice they were not playing a Lady Gaga chart.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was wonderful to see those young people with their teacher. You can tell right away the this guy listens and is most likely still involved with his instrument. I would also suspect that they have good funding and a supportive administration which is also essential. All of these things are rare in my experience in music education. You'll notice they were not playing a Lady Gaga chart.
VON-O-MIGHY :)

That teacher Erin Stroup was a student of mine- for a long time. He also recorded a tune of mine with Mintzer.

THAT SAID- he used to jam at my home with guys on a Monday- for 6 hours. We'd play everything from free Sam Rivers mind sets to Bird stuff and ALL the standards.
It's how the seed is planted....and you can understand that as a fellow travelor.

Glad you enjoyed it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
"When you go do a museum--when you go to a foreign country, you don’t see the politics--you don’t see the dogma. What you see left over is the art."
-Jeff Coffin

What he said....:)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tim,

Speaking of seeds check out my Pre-Scool legends of sax video on my Facebook.

C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts