Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Saw this Jeff Beck video some time back. Yeah, Tal Wilkenfeld plays great, and looks even better! I also admit to being flabergasted the first time I saw John Entwistle on a live video. His fingers were a blur of non-stop motion - I had no idea that he was such a monster player, albeit not in the jazz mold.

·
723 Posts
John Paul Jones plays many instruments and does it well, including but not limited to folk and electronic. He is a vastly underrated musical powerhouse phenomena.
This I agree with. John Paul Jones' bass was perfect for the Led Zep tunes. Also he played keyboards, such as the atmospheric organ on Thank You, and also played and arranged the iconic recorders at the starting section of Stairway To Heaven. In this respect, I doubt John Entwistle could have outdone him insofar as powering Led Zeppelin goes.

As for Tal Wilkenfeld, she definitely has some jazz chops, albeit with a rockish inclination. The fact that she was chosen by Chick Corea for his Aussie tour in 2007, where she played alongside Frank Gambale and Antonio Sanchez says something about her abilities beyond the rock arena.

·
723 Posts
I have been playing bass on and off for about 20 years now, so I do have some knowledge of the instrument.

Interesting poll clips. i would have never figured to have Jaco P in at #4 at John Entwistle at #1, but I guess everyone will have a different take on who's the greatest one of all (if there is really such a thing). While I respect John Entwistle's abilities with the bass very much, I would definitely pick Jaco, or even Jeff Berlin above him. And Marcus Miller not even in the top 20? Think most people would pick him above Stu Hamm IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts