Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nicely done! I'll check out your other videos and entries; you have great energy and delivery.

Couple of other points from an old late bloomer guy who can't wear a conventional strap: 1) the abdomen brace helps remind me to keep my diaphragm engaged. 2) the abdomen brace will rub into your saxophone and put some wear marks in it pretty quickly, so I keep mine up higher than the manufacturers recommendations. 3) as you noted, the horn isn't too secure- in fact in will fall off if you bend over to pick up something from the floor (I keep meaning to put a string connecting the hooks at the back of the wearer)

I travel with a Balam strap from Boston Sax Shop; it takes the pressure off the cervical vertebrae, more travel friendly, but keeps the horn in a little closer. I use the Jazzlab at home in the studio.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,819 Posts
Thanks , but there have been many threads mentioning and at least two reviews already before of this much used holding system.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?166166-A-true-innovation-the-Saxholder-(plus-review)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?177043-Sax-holder-review-by-roger-manins

Following up any previous thread has the advantage to cause an alert to all the participants which are obviously interested people. Opening new threads on matters previously covered by others only disperses information.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Not sure about that video. I have 4 JazzLab Harnesses. One in each case -Alto, Tenor, and Soprano and one at school where I teach. A real saxophone life saver as I was having so much pain from a traditional strap I nearly had to stop playing altogether. I’ve been using one exclusively for 2 years with no horn scratching, horn hasn’t fallen off the hook, and the harness hasn’t snapped from adjusting. They do look funny so I always wear black. Perhaps the next review can be from someone who actually uses one.

·
38,819 Posts
I use one (and one alone) which I have used for many years.

My only complaint is that I (and almost anyone I know) had to add an elastic to keep it from spreading open.

In the NL post-persons are in the habit to use ( and drop on the floor) precisely these thick and wide elastics that can be used.

It would be nice that Silvin Jancic, the inventor ( whom I’ve met many times in Frankfurt) would add something to this. By the way I bought one of the first models, later on I received the improved new hook from the gracious Silvin.

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
415 Posts
Been using my jazz lab harness for nearly a year. I love it. If I use another strap, the horn feels super heavy!
It did take a while to get use to, but after a few gigs, it feels normal.
My only wish is that they would give a better storage bag. It tears rather easily.
A+ on the strap though.

·
38,819 Posts
I just did a modification on my Jazz lab.

I started using many years ago an elastic to prevent the widening of the shoulder supports but they are forever breaking and giving problems so I used a carabiner (one from a strap) with a key ring on one side on one of the shoulder support.

When I am playing I just click it on the other arm or when transport it folded, un-click it loose.

Very happy about the result and the fact that keeping things for “ just in case” always pays dividends.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use mine all the time, has saved my neck from strain and abrasions from conventional straps, and adjusts to suit sop, alto and tenor instantly, very useful when swapping between instruments. It does get comments from some folk like “the Doctor is here with his stethoscope!” But so what, it works VERY well for me...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since I bought mine I have not used another strap again.
It has saved my back and neck. I cannot believe I waited so long to buy one!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm another happy user, I have used a Jazzlab Sax harness for eight months now, much nicer on the neck.

I don't use any other strap now, just the Jazxlab.

If you lean over it feels like it might slip off, but I have never had any trouble with it.

My only adjustment was to shorten the cord for the hook slightly, by adding in a knot into the cord. I'll add a picture to make sense of this. I found the YAS-23 I use was hanging too low otherwise.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
. Perhaps the next review can be from someone who actually uses one.
I actually use one and did a review. No, I use two. But not at the same time. I keep one with a shorter strap that fits with my bass and the other one for alto tenor and baritone. It's been a life saver me.

Following up any previous thread has the advantage to cause an alert to all the participants which are obviously interested people. Opening new threads on matters previously covered by others only disperses information.
I'll look into merging all the threads.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ive used one for a couple of years now, and it was the best investment I’ve ever made in relation to playing the saxophone.

I was having real problems with my neck, to the extent that I couldn’t really play tenor at all. Those problems have now gone totally.

Highly recommended piece of kit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Holds the sax too close to the body for my taste. I prefer the Balam or Marmaduke ideas better.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I like the BA sling. Simple, easy and works great for bari and tenor. Lightens the load considerably, enough for me at least. Only around $25 too. It not not be as load-reducing as a full harness but certainly does a great job with minimal restriction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the review! I’ve been looking into these harness’ for awhile now, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Glad to see so many fellow SOTW members digging them. Might have to join the club. Also, really like your website, keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm going to get one of these. Is there anything I should know about new models vs old models? Or do I just call up ww&bw and ask them to send me the jazz lab saxholder harness in stock?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
Not sure about that video. I have 4 JazzLab Harnesses. One in each case -Alto, Tenor, and Soprano and one at school where I teach. A real saxophone life saver as I was having so much pain from a traditional strap I nearly had to stop playing altogether. I’ve been using one exclusively for 2 years with no horn scratching, horn hasn’t fallen off the hook, and the harness hasn’t snapped from adjusting. They do look funny so I always wear black. Perhaps the next review can be from someone who actually uses one.
I play standing up 99% of the time and always hold the horn out front and I have blemishes all around the hook ring area, which is where the horn contacts the end of the chest piece. I could avoid them by not extending the belly support to the optimal position or covering it with a thin foam piece but I really don't care about a few lacquer chips and wear marks.

Holds the sax too close to the body for my taste. I prefer the Balam or Marmaduke ideas better.
Interesting. I find that I have a lot more freedom of movement than any other harness I've tried, very much like a standard neck strap but without the neck stress. I also would not consider this unit a harness at all, rather an over-the-shoulder hanger with a belly stabilizer. I consider a harness something that straps around the chest with straps over the shoulders...like a bra or a pet harness with a horn hook. On second thought, isn't this thing called the JazzLab Sax HOLDER, not sax harness?

I'm going to get one of these. Is there anything I should know about new models vs old models? Or do I just call up ww&bw and ask them to send me the jazz lab saxholder harness in stock?
Not a new versus old thing, but I weigh 80 pounds less now than I did about 4 years ago when I got my saxholder...I hated it when I was 5'8" and 275#: I couldn't make the hard and pointy shoulder "pads" to bend in any way that made it comfortable for me to wear and I almost sold it. One day I decided to try it again and I loved it: I was about 225 then. Now I'm +/-195 (still 5'8" HAHAHA!) and continue to feel it's the best strap thing I've ever used. Great idea to secure the back pieces as others mentioned above, going to start doing it. The only flaw I find with it now is that when bending forward one or both of the back pieces can, and often do, come off the shoulders and present a dangerous moment. Securing the pieces will eliminate that big time design flaw problem completely.

Also: Support the little guy, order one directly from jazzlab or at least a real music store (sax alley, junkdude, and tenor madness all carry them I believe) so real people, some of whom also contribute excellent content for free on this very forum, can make a few bucks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Guys if you like the Jazzlab please try the Hooki. It is an absolutely awesome design. It might take a while for the word to spread as this is a small German company but once it does everybody will be using a Hooki.

·
38,819 Posts
Guys if you like the Jazzlab please try the Hooki. It is an absolutely awesome design. It might take a while for the word to spread as this is a small German company but once it does everybody will be using a Hooki.
With the greatest respect.

The Hooki costs twice ( or even more!) as much and gives you a curl of metal wire around you neck shoulders (which for some people won’t cut the mustard because of the asymmetric pull but at twice the price)

Hi,
recently I found "hooki": http://hooki.de.com/index.html

For me it looks like a one-armed copy from the saxholder. What do you think?
Half the saxholder for 3x the price .....

View attachment 232130

·
Registered
603 Posts
With the greatest respect.

The Hooki costs twice ( or even more!) as much and gives you a curl of metal wire around you neck shoulders (which for some people won’t cut the mustard because of the asymmetric pull but at twice the price)

View attachment 232130

I thought the same until I talked to someone that uses one and then bought one myself. If you tried one you would change your mind. There is absolutely no asymmetrical pull, the weight is distributed perfectly evenly. When I realised what an amazing and perfect and innovative design it was I thought it is worth the high price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts