Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the JazzLab Deflector (https://www.jazzlab.com/en/deflector/) for practice/rehearsal/gigs?

When I do rock gigs on tenor, there's often a chance I won't have monitors and have difficulty hearing myself against guitars. This makes tuning difficult, so I'd love to know if people's experience shows that this may prove a solution.

Thanks!

/s

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
They do work, not insanely loud but enough to hear yourself over the noise.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use such a deflector. It is much better than a ground monitor approx. 2,5 meters away from my ears and thereby helps to keep overall volume lower in our rehearsal room (drums, guit, keys, voice, bass). And I can still blow our electric guit guy into pieces, haha.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We got some JazzLab Deflectors to use at the Theo Wanne booth at the NAMM show a few years ago to allow people to hear themselves a little better when trying out mouthpieces (we weren't near a wall) and they made a big impact. People could hear themselves better, without having to blow their brains out (and the brains of surrounding folks).

I've been using one on most gigs since then, and I can say it's made a significant difference for me. I'm able to hear myself and feel connected even if the monitor mix is bad (or doesn't exist). It can look a little funky to some folks having a plastic disk clipped to your bell, but the advantage far outweighs any aesthetic concerns in my book. I route my clip on SD mic through the little opening in the front of the deflector and am able to keep my stage volume down, and combat any feedback my mic might want to give at the same time by having a little more isolation from the monitors in front of me.

I think it's a great product.....it's already saved my proverbial bacon quite a few times :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
We got some JazzLab Deflectors to use at the Theo Wanne booth at the NAMM show a few years ago to allow people to hear themselves a little better when trying out mouthpieces (we weren't near a wall) and they made a big impact. People could hear themselves better, without having to blow their brains out (and the brains of surrounding folks).

I've been using one on most gigs since then, and I can say it's made a significant difference for me. I'm able to hear myself and feel connected even if the monitor mix is bad (or doesn't exist). It can look a little funky to some folks having a plastic disk clipped to your bell, but the advantage far outweighs any aesthetic concerns in my book. I route my clip on SD mic through the little opening in the front of the deflector and am able to keep my stage volume down, and combat any feedback my mic might want to give at the same time by having a little more isolation from the monitors in front of me.

I think it's a great product.....it's already saved my proverbial bacon quite a few times :)

Nice review, I just ordered one off of Amazon because of it. I hope they send you some commission ;)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,014 Posts
The answer is yes, they work very well. I much prefer the kind that clips to the mic stand, though:

These sound back deflectors are really useful when you don't have a monitor or decent monitor mix. They are also an inexpensive and simple solution, allowing you to hear yourself. Of course the best situation is to have a GOOD monitor mix, because then you are hearing what you sound like through the sound system, but that still is likely to be different from the sound out front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts