Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a young'un, trying to get a jazz band together which is proving harder than I thought :)

Anyhow, to ease the pain, by reducing personnel requirements to a bare minimum - names of "successful" jazz trios with a sax player welcome, to serve as inspiration :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's Sonny Rollins, A Night At The Village Vanguard, which is kind of legendary, I think it's fair to say.

Or maybe Joe Lovano, Fascination, or Branford Marsalis, Bloomington . . . but there are really lots of examples.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I wish you luck. I sometimes work with Bass, Guitar, and Tenor - Super creative and tons of fun if it's the right people. Victor Wooten is touring with a Bass, Drums, Tenor Trio at the moment. Or course he has Bob Franceschini on Tenor and Dennis Chambers on drums so it's not really missing anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave - Yea - love Chris Potter. Joshua Redmon is so cooll! Will check out the Dick Oatts too. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John - Gonna check them out - always forget Marsalis, Joe Lovano I never heard of - I'll take a listen

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Greeen - I think I need luck. Somewhere I always think I need drums. Then I think I have to have keys. It's hard enough to get 2 good'uns :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
raddy59, I think it's a good idea to look for successful jazz trios that include sax for inspiration and ideas, but don't get too locked into the idea of trying to model your band after any of them. Like you're starting to realize above, the best strategy is to get together with the best two you can find in both musicality and attitude, and work things out from there. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run. Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not a trio, but Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker played bari and trumpet in a quartet with no piano and made some classic recordings.

Similarly, Ornette Coleman and Don Cherry played in a piano-less quartet and also made some great music.

Definitely check them out!

·
Registered
271 Posts
As was mentioned, Sonny Rollins, “A Night At The Village Vanguard”. This is classic. Also listen to Joe Henderson’s “The State of the Tenor, Vols. 1 & 2”. Also recorded at the Village Vanguard. Both recordings are essential listening for tenor trio, and all around brilliance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frank D - I think they are wise words. I guess like most things it's best to find good reliable people you can work with and see what happens - hopefully friends :).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swaman - yeah, I remember my dad playing this
Great YT comment:
"love those drums... having no piano, creates so much breathing room for these 3 old cowboys"

·
Registered
434 Posts
Also the first three tracks of Coltrane's Lush Life album is trio with bass and drums, the last two tracks he adds drums and trumpet.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
How about a sax/bass duo?
I've done that at a jam before everybody showed up.
Worked well on blues.
I played roots, 3rds and sevenths with passing tones when the bass played melody.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also the first three tracks of Coltrane's Lush Life album is trio with bass and drums, the last two tracks he adds drums and trumpet.
Apparently (according to the liner notes) the pianist didn't turn up for the session which is why they recorded as a trio.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Even though I do a weekly tenor, bass, drums trio my preference is tenor, organ and drums......
For a trio, this would be my preference also, because the organ can cover the role of the bass and a chordal instrument. Keep in mind, especially if you're relatively new to this, that it can be very challenging to play without a chord instrument (keys or guitar) and also being the only instrument to solo. Yes, it is more 'free,' but still it will be mostly on you to keep the music happening. You might also consider going with a quartet (bass, drums, sax, & piano or guitar).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts