Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play tenor in a jazz combo that plays mainly swing, latin and some rock. Currently I'm playing on a vandoren jumbo java T95 but dont think its right for what I'm doing and want to change mpcs.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting an otto link but I'm not sure what facing to get.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would try out some Links. They are too much for the money, and contrary to what other people think, there aren't many defects (IMO), but they still lack a little of the quality control. You should probably go to a local music shop and try a few and get one that is easy to control, can get the tone you want, and is just good feeling. If you want to up the money, you can get a Dukoff or a Berg. Good mpc's, and different chamber sizings make tone not too bad (on a side note, I find tone is actually more in the embrochure than a mpc, mpc's just limit volume and in some aspects, tone). Well, for now, my piece is said. Personally, I play on a link 7 STM NY(;) ), but it is all up to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No one can give you a reasonable suggestion on a mouthpiece without knowing what it is you want. You need to identify what the jumbo java isn't doing or is doing too much of, and how much of that you can't overcome yourself, before investing in a new mouthpiece just because someone else plays it. If there was a perfect setup for everything, we'd all play it. And there'd be no discussion and life would get pretty boring. (Every saxophone masterclass i've ever seen always goes to 'i play a _____ with a __ and a half ___ and a _____ligature on a _______horn...how else would a saxophonist start a masterclass if we knew the answers already?)

Identify what it is you want to change, get a concept of your sound in your head, then figure out what setup makes it easiest for you to get that sound. A dear friend of mine owns probably 15 mouthpieces, of all sorts of materials and designs, and no matter which one he puts on, he sounds the same because he has a sound in his head. he never identified what he wanted to change in his sound, he just hoped the different mouthpieces would magically give him what he doesn't know he's missing. That's how saxophonists get GAS...as the SOTW has deemed the syndrome.

hopefully that saves you from a lifetime of mouthpiece frustration. not trying to be harsh, just being honest. best of luck- mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
saxjazz42 said:
No one can give you a reasonable suggestion on a mouthpiece without knowing what it is you want. You need to identify what the jumbo java isn't doing or is doing too much of, and how much of that you can't overcome yourself, before investing in a new mouthpiece just because someone else plays it. If there was a perfect setup for everything, we'd all play it. And there'd be no discussion and life would get pretty boring. (Every saxophone masterclass i've ever seen always goes to 'i play a _____ with a __ and a half ___ and a _____ligature on a _______horn...how else would a saxophonist start a masterclass if we knew the answers already?)

Identify what it is you want to change, get a concept of your sound in your head, then figure out what setup makes it easiest for you to get that sound. A dear friend of mine owns probably 15 mouthpieces, of all sorts of materials and designs, and no matter which one he puts on, he sounds the same because he has a sound in his head. he never identified what he wanted to change in his sound, he just hoped the different mouthpieces would magically give him what he doesn't know he's missing. That's how saxophonists get GAS...as the SOTW has deemed the syndrome.

hopefully that saves you from a lifetime of mouthpiece frustration. not trying to be harsh, just being honest. best of luck- mike
Nonetheless, its a feel thing. If the mouthpiece doesn't blow, or feels like sh-t to blow into, or too resistive, it aint gonna be somethin' your gonna wanna play, no matter what your sound concept is or isnt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Lukeduke said:
I play tenor in a jazz combo that plays mainly swing, latin and some rock. Currently I'm playing on a vandoren jumbo java T95 but dont think its right for what I'm doing and want to change mpcs.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting an otto link but I'm not sure what facing to get.
How much do you plan on spending?
Do you prefer rubber or metal? Im guessing rubber if thats what you are playing now?
etc.etc.

The Jumbo Javas have a reputation for being pretty bright, you are probably right that it doesnt really fit in. Maybe a Regular Java, or one of Squeely Dans cheap "Woodwind Company" Badged Vandorens would do the trick.

There are a lot of choices out there, a Link would be OK, if you have the chance to play a few and choose the one for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts