Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is software or apps that facilitate learning popular Jazz songs. Something where you can slow down and repeat sections, exercises and such as well as full backing tracks for saxophone. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,789 Posts
I suppose you meant Ireal PRO

https://irealpro.com

You can do all manners of changes, the only thing is that not all pieces are accurate (especially the ones downloaded by the Ireal pro forum re-written by other members) but it is a great medium, you can also edit and send things to others, even record yourself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
iRealPro is great for the things you mention, and I use it regularly, but the Midi sounds can be fatiguing.

I also import Aebersold play-along tracks into Anytune Pro+, where you can change speed, loop sections, etc. Even better, pull an actual recording of the tune you're practicing and play along with that in the same way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
As far as "wrong" chords on ireal-pro — it's quite easy to simply duplicate the tune and edit the chords to your liking. I have quite a few tunes with the original version, then version 1, and maybe version 1.1. I wouldn't let the program's inaccuracies stop you because it's really pretty flexible.

·
38,789 Posts
exactly and the best thing is that you can actually correct the version to the benefit of all the users by. sharing the correction

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
The problem is not wrong chord symbols, it is the wrong MIDI notes within the correct symbols. Often a major 7 will have a 9 added, or a minor 7 have a 9 or a 4 added. These are the kinds of things a pianist might do live, but would depend on the actual context - ireal pro has no live context so I think this is a pain.

For example playing a melody that is a C over an A minor 7 chord, I may not want the 9th (B) sounding a semitone below the melody. It might sound OK, but sometimes it just sounds wrong. A live pianist would know when, and what inversion, they could do that.

·
38,789 Posts
until we can get a little man in the phone I think that this is one of the best thing to do.

I have played for example, on several (downloaded from the I real pro version) versions of “ Amsterdam after dark” None is ideal but I don’t have a band at home.

I play with singers and the ability to transpose ( and play with rythm) is fundamental as well as the ability to then send the result in audio to the singer which then practices at home. Before I real Pro all of this was very much more complicated (and expensive).

It’s work in progress

·
28,876 Posts
until we can get a little man in the phone
Or lady ;)

I play with singers and the ability to transpose ( and play with rythm) is fundamental as well as the ability to then send the result in audio to the singer which then practices at home. Before I real Pro all of this was very much more complicated (and expensive).

It’s work in progress
I totally agree, it was only a minor rant (pun intended)

·
38,789 Posts
or lady ( my singer and I would need a bigger phone than most maybe a tablet).

I love the pun :) ( although I am only someone who plays mostly by ear )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
The problem is not wrong chord symbols, it is the wrong MIDI notes within the correct symbols.
Oh, I see what you're getting at. And yes, the software is limited in that regard. Might be nice to have some other options as well but part of the program's usefulness is its relative simplicity — they had to draw the line somewhere!

·
28,876 Posts
Oh, I see what you're getting at. And yes, the software is limited in that regard. Might be nice to have some other options as well but part of the program's usefulness is its relative simplicity — they had to draw the line somewhere!
But why not draw the line at putting in the right notes, as opposed to unasked for extensions. (I'm talking about when you are adding your own chord sequence)

You have the choice of Dbmaj7 and Dbmaj9, so why have a 9 when you've chosen maj7?

·
38,789 Posts
it’s much better to reform something like this that not having it at all, I suppse that you could pass on your ideas to the creator of Ireal Pro

·
28,876 Posts
it’s much better to reform something like this that not having it at all, I suppse that you could pass on your ideas to the creator of Ireal Pro
I have done (if the creators read their forum)

·
38,789 Posts
probably not

1 - 20 of 20 Posts