Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jazz reeds don’t work for me. I have been playing Java, Rigotti and others for a while but in the end I’m loving a good old Blue Box Vandoren, once it’s adjusted (I compress the fibers on top with a reedgeek or fingernail) and a little broken in. I feel like my intonation is better, my sound is fuller, it just takes a little more effort to blow through but it’s worth it, actually I’m finding it’s essential to my sound. I tried a V12 too but prefer the Blue Box. I might try the V21’s but for now these are working well. In the past they seemed stuffy but practicing a lot has changed my embouchure I guess. These are suitable for playing jazz or any type of music. Anyone else into Blue Box Vandoren reeds?

· Registered
1,795 Posts
I used to use them, they worked fine. I sometimes think I might give them another try.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No such thing as a "jazz reed". You can play jazz on any reed. It's just a matter of which reed brand works best for you.
Well I’m saying the same thing, you can play jazz on any reed, but I would call Java reeds jazz reeds because thats what they were designed for.

“Vandoren Java reeds were developed in 1983 for jazz and commercial music. A thicker extremity and a more flexible pallet than the Traditional reed allow vibration over a larger surface area with maximum elasticity. This type of vertebral column gives the musician much greater playing flexibility.”

· SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
25,066 Posts
Well I’m saying the same thing, you can play jazz on any reed, but I would call Java reeds jazz reeds because thats what they were designed for.

“Vandoren Java reeds were developed in 1983 for jazz and commercial music. A thicker extremity and a more flexible pallet than the Traditional reed allow vibration over a larger surface area with maximum elasticity. This type of vertebral column gives the musician much greater playing flexibility.”
Just marketing BS.

· Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
283 Posts
Doesn’t really matter what they were intended for, if you like the blue box then that’s all that matters. I use blue box ones on baritone, and used to use them on soprano (but switched to V21).

· Registered
Yanagisawa S992, Yamaha YAS-875 V1, Vito Model 35
70 Posts
I find that the way the "jazz" reeds are cut has a negative impact on their longevity since there's less material in the heart of the reed - the part which gives the reed stability. I've been enjoying V12s on alto for a while now, and I might try them on my jazz soprano setup soon.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
1,332 Posts
Blue box not a jazz reed?? - someone should tell this to Eric Marienthal

• Haha
Reactions: MarkIV70
1 - 13 of 13 Posts