Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen this notation before. It is written on someone's notation software, and there are lines connecting two consecutive notes. Sometimes the lines meet in the middle above and between the notes forming a teepee. Sometimes they dip down, forming an inverted cone. They are straight lines.

I am wondering if they are falls followed by doits and visa-versa, or something else... Can someone help me understand them?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is it the only ONE line between the notes, or more (you wrote "lines")?
Usually, if it is straight, it should be SLIDE, and depending on the location closer or farther to the first-second note - slide up or below.
Sometimes, if notes are very close to each other, GLISSANDO could be saved as a straight line (without name).
Falls, to my knowledge, are always curved (but maybe I'm wrong ...?)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
This is a cut and paste from the "The United States Army Field Band Jazz Notation" publication. A lot of Sammy Nestico charts I have played use this figure quite a bit. In Finale that "V" symbol is called a "bend" perhaps having more to do with guitar stylings.

View attachment 205985

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's true a V might mean a bend down and up, but I think would only usually be written on or between the same notes. And on a saxophone you would never write an upward bend.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
saxoclese has it right - it's a turn. The dot at the end is an indication that the note is staccato, not related to the turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts