Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pete Christlieb has the honors today, anyone not familiar with this monster tenor player should check him out.

One of those great "old school" guys with a HUGE sound, well steeped in the lineage of great players like Hawkins, Herschel Evans, Prez, Bird, Lockjaw Davis, Illinois Jacquet, Dexter (and others)...but sounding like no one else.

My favorites are his recordings with Warne Marsh, but he's made a lot of other appearances with artists like Steely Dan (FM, Deacon Blues), Natalie Cole (Unforgettable), Jack Sheldon, Doc Severinsen's Tonight Show Band (for many years). The list goes on and on...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=5707

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,971 Posts
Pete Christlieb came and played with my college big band.(so did Bob Mintzer the next year) I was a freshman and totally blown away by Christlieb. I remember we played a few tunes with hard changes and no matter the changes his solo would sound bluesy. He could bend a note like no one I had ever hear before. I still have the concert on a audio tape although I haven't had a tape player in 15 years so I've never listened to it. I have to convert it to mp3 somehow and share with you guys...........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts