Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello :)
I'm a classical saxophone player, but I'd like to buy a jazz mouthpiece for my tenor
I play on a Yamaha 475 with a T20 mouthpiece, and I'd like a setup quite similar to this one, and I'd like play with a synthetic reed because I will use this setup quite rarely.
Which kind of mouthpiece and opening do you suggest me?
Thank you :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Test a Vandoren V16 and Jody Jazz HR. Perhaps tip opening about 6-ish?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A Vandoren Java will have the same exterior shape as your T20, which might be worth considering. The Java is a good middle of the road jazz mouthpiece. You might like a T45 or T55 tip.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Why not just keep your classical set-up for jazz ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for a V16, perhaps a 5 or 6 tip opening, but no larger.
Other hard rubber mouthpieces you might also like are Meyer (5 or 6) and Otto Link (4*, 5, 5*).
None of these will break the bank, and I think you will find that they give you more sound and a little more brightness than your T20.

Best of luck!
~ Rick

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Other hard rubber mouthpieces you might also like are Meyer (5 or 6) and Otto Link (4*, 5, 5*).
+1

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'll second trying out an Otto Link or Jody Jazz HR. Really any Link style mouthpiece (there's plenty of them!) will work well! I wouldn't go any larger than a 6/6* in tip opening if you're used to a primarily classical set up. Just remember that you create the sound not the mouthpiece!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am primarily a classically trained saxophonist & play on a setup close to yours. Both my alto and tenor are Yamaha Custom EXs & I have recently switched from R Caravan Med chamber mouthpieces to Vandoren Optimum Al3 & Tl3, which are a bit less resistant & much easier to control in the extreme registers. When I started playing more Jazz, I didn't know which mouthpiece to use. So, in the interest of not spending a ton of money I opted for the Meyer 6M. It was a good choice at the time- allowing me to experiment with my sound without going to an extremely different kind of mouthpiece. If you are looking for something similar to your setup, I might even suggest a Meyer 5M. But, as you get used to it, you are probably going to want more flexibility & try a variety of tip openings. Here was my progression on tenor: Meyer 6M, then Meyer 7M, then Otto Link 6* (metal), then Barone 7* (metal), and finally 10Mfan Robusto 7* (back to HR). This was over a 4 or 5 year period & I was just kind of floundering through in the beginning. The Barone was very expensive (I paid about $400, used) & IMO not really worth that kind of money. The 10Mfan was expensive as well, but I absolutely LOVE it. Easy altissimo, easy sub-tone, dark when you want it to be and allows you to really push it when you need to. He (10Mfan) has really dialed in to a great sounding piece I picked one up on SOTW used for $350 and they are well worth the investment. I will probably try the 10Mfan metal Robusto next...

Good luck!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,393 Posts
You've gotten some great suggestions here. I played
a Barone on my Tenor. I think a JJ HR would suit you quite well. I've also had good experience with an Otto Link and Vandoren MPCs. My recommendation would be a Vandoren Java T45. Would be great for you.

No one has addressed your reed concern though. I'm not sure which way you were leaning, but I've played Legere Studio, Legere Signature, and Hahn Synthetic. I would recommend the Legere Studio in a softer tip than you would use for classical.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I've found Brilhart mouthpieces to feel pretty close to a classical setup. I used an old Ebolin for a long time on tenor.

If you're willing to spend the money, I'd second DocSaxBock's recommendation of the 10mfan Robusto. I recorded myself playing classical on it and it worked shockingly well (That was a 6* HR, but I've since moved onto a metal 9, which just doesn't have the right vibe to it for classical music but is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE mouthpiece).

Since then, I've been curious about trying a Merlot in a 5* or a 6 tip for classical...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts