Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer Metal on the lower saxes (Tenor, Baris) and Rubber on the higher ones for Jazz. Obviously there are many choices of different mouthpieces, but in general what do you prefer?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I prefer Metal on the lower saxes (Tenor, Baris) and Rubber on the higher ones for Jazz. Obviously there are many choices of different mouthpieces, but in general what do you prefer?
Me too but I'm not entirely sure why. My best guess is that I like mouthpieces that have narrow rails they just seem to respond quicker to me and metal tenor and bari pieces have rails that are more narrow than HR pieces where the alto pieces in metal or HR are pretty similar.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't have enough experience on tenor, bari, or soprano, given that I can't afford any right now (though I'm saving up for a tenor), but I prefer rubber on alto. I'm just now getting around to being able to explain the technical mumbo jumbo, so I can't say why, but I seem to have much more dynamic control on the HR pieces I've played on. They've also been a little more versatile in my albeit limited experience.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
same for me. the profile of wider metal pieces on tenor is just reallllyyyy comfy for me

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I never found a metal mpc with a sound that i couldn't replicate with a HR. I prefer HR because the metal of metal mpcs reacts to my dental fillings. But i never did regret to play no metal mpcs any longer. I play Tenor, Bari, Alto and Sopran and love HR on all of them and feel pretty comfortable with the sound and how HR feels in your mouth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
I prefer HR for tenor, I don't think there is much difference in sound between metal and rubber

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have always been a fan of HR mouthpieces for alto and tenor. It has nothing to do with the sound, I just personally don't like the feel of metal mouthpieces. Maybe someday I will get over it and a metal mouthpiece will be my main piece on tenor but for now I have happy with what I have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I prefer HR on everything. Once in a while I will try metal again on tenor, but I go back to HR. I like the steeper profile of the bite plate on HR pcs which allows me to do more with the sound. I had a HR mpc with a shallow bite plate like a metal mpc and couldn't stand it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,168 Posts
I prefer HR simply because it's comfortable.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Maybe we can add what mpc and reeds we play? I play a Drake S.G. Legend 6* (i don't know exactly what the material is, but it's based on a hr mpc) with LaVoz H.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,107 Posts
Same for me, see my signature. It has to do with the mp size, maybe also the playing angle, steeper on alto and sop. Maybe it is all in my head, but I miss the high harmonics sparkle with most HR mps on tenor and bari.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,830 Posts
No offense, but I thought this was a post by Thomas not Thomass....
Unless he spelled his own nickname wrong. it appears to be Thomass.

As for the question. I've played hard rubber and metal on tenor with no preference as to the material it's made from, but I have to say that I like the smaller profile of metal pieces...there are also some non-metal pieces that have smaller profiles than you typical HR Link or Meyer, like; Saxscape and Francois Louis. My bari mouthpiece is a v16, and it is a smaller profile HR piece. Tenor is a Barone Hollywood, metal. I very rarely play alto, but when I do, I use an SR Tech L85. I've never tried a metal alto piece, but I like the one I use now because it is easy to switch to from tenor or bari because it feels about the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts