Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Portugal,

I play on a Marching Band (windband) and study Jazz.
Till the date in the wind Band I was playing baritone sax and for Jazz tenor. Now im going to change to tenor in the Band.
In me jazz studies I use a Rico Select Jazz 7M ( that I like) . Should i go to a more classical mouthpiece ( I have a Selmer S80 E mouthpiece)? Should I practice in the Jazz mouthpiece and play in the Selmer (it's easier to control).
Noticie that im a late (41 years) and amateur musician and my personal musical preference is Jazz but I like also to play in the windband(also I own some money that is Good for maintaining the sax life)

Any advice?

Regards
Nuno

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
I don’t know how big your marching band is, but many such bands are so large that individual instruments are not heard. In that case, play whichever mouthpiece you want.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
If you are really in a marching band, i.e., a group that walks around while playing outdoors, then mouthpiece choice is not too important. Whatever you're comfortable with and enables you to control the horn well is fine. I wouldn't switch to a different mouthpiece; if you like your Select Jazz, stay with it.

However, if by "windband" you (also?) mean a seated concert band that plays more complex music than the usual marching band arrangements, then using a different mouthpiece is worth considering. A moderate jazz mouthpiece can be OK for concert band if you have very good control over your tone and dynamics. However, a classical mouthpiece probably would enable you to get the job done more easily. I use only classical mouthpieces in concert band. On tenor, that has meant the Selmer S80, Vandoren V5 T20, and the Vandoren TL5.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I’m not so advanced, but my 2 cents is as follows:

1). If you goal is to blend in, a classical mouthpiece is probably best.
2). If you need to stand out, a jazz one is best.

I’m in a concert band and am the ONLY tenor sax. Get to sit in front of 8 trumpets and 8 trombones. If it weren’t for my Java T75 (D’Addario Jazz Select 8M is my back up), I don’t think anyone would ever hear my saxophone. A bit of brightness helps.

If you can do Jazz, you probably have plenty of embouchure control for a concert band, even with a Jazzy mouthpiece.

If you are marching band, no one is in tune anyways so......who cares.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody who replied.
It's marching and seating the Band.
I decided to study on my Jazz mouthpiece and when is to play to switch to my Selmer .

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts