Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
... I bout a rico metalite m5 just to see if this $30 mothpiece was worth it, and it's not bad. It's really bright, but I ... would prefer something a little darker.
You're already invested in the Rico. Why not save your money, get a file or a drill and hog out that high baffle a little bit? Round off the inside edge of that stepped tip as well. That should darken up the Rico and it might solve your reed compatibility issue, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jody HR is a great inexpensive piece and so are the Vandoren V16s if you’re after a brighter sound. Vandoren Java and Jumbo Java are worth looking at - for mass produced mouthpieces they have great quality control and finish. I play a metal 50’s style V16 T7 and prefer it to my old Florida Link and Lawton pieces, it’s better made than the Link and on a par with the Lawton for its finish.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
+10 on Phil....he worked on my Meyer a couple months ago and when I took it to band practice everybody was digging the sound....alto player next to me asked "WOW what kind of mouthpiece IS that?"...and HE was playing a Meyer too

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I bought a Rico Metalite years ago. I use it as a pestle for grinding herbs and spices in my mortar. But seriously, try a large chamber mouthpiece to get a darker sound. And forget about reed combinations and such. That stuff is a waste of time. I'll use any reed, as long as it plays.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been using an Otto Link HR 6 for a long time and I really like it. But I've also been wanting to try a new mouthpiece, and possibly a larger tip opening. From what I've been reading around the web and here, the D'Addario Select Jazz seems to be the one to try. Haven't seen anything really negative about it. And from their promotional videos, it seems like their goal was to reproduce a good, classic Meyer mouthpiece.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Final update: I made a decision and bought the d’addario select jazz alto mouthpiece, size 6m, but it was the marbled special edition. I was going to get Philtone to reface my Meyer, but I was in the process of moving to Australia and wasn’t sure of my future address. Several people here suggested the select jazz, so I researched that one and decided it was the best for me. However, I read up on the improvements made with the special edition one and decided it was worth the investment. I guess some will call my decision a waste of money, but I managed to use a few amazon gift cards I had saved up and didn’t end up spending all that much. Super happy with my final decision, it’s got a nice overall sound and feel, similar sound to Meyer, but with an extra edge and projects so much better. I can make it bright or dark if I want to, and has definitely allowed me to play more to my personal limits than my Meyer did.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi.
Excuse me for continuing the thread but, how about the inconsistency of the Meyers? It is that really a problem?
And what about consistency in Daddario Select Jazz? It is well known that Vandoren are consistent and this is one of their valuable characteristics. Other brands with similar consistency in terms of craftmanship? (If posible under 200 $/€).

Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two things:
First, the Theo Wanne NY Bros mouthpiece is only $200 now, I have heard great things about them... but I personally am doing the second option:
Buy a used modern meyer and send it to either Phil Engleman of Phil Tones or Erik Greiffenhagen to reface. This guarantees that the mouthpiece you get will play perfectly, because a professional is putting finishing touches on it.
I got the meyer for $50-60 on reverb and the cost to reface is $110 for Erik (with shipping) and about $150-160 for Phil depending on what is being refaced. I haven't received the mouthpiece yet and haven't sent it to Erik or Phil but once I do i will let you know! So in total this option is cheaper (about $170) than the theo wanne and you know it's perfect.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,967 Posts
It is well known that Vandoren are consistent and this is one of their valuable characteristics. .
Eskerrik asko

As long as they are consistently good, not consistently bad. (Good/bad being subjective)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,424 Posts
Just as a side note since we are calling my work on Meyers a Reface...its not just a reface. The Custom Meyer is a rebuild that also includes chamber mods that open up and even out the tonal range of the piece...its that work that drew people to the piece...any good refacer can reface the piece but that impacts response with potentially minimal impact on its sonic character.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Two things:
First, the Theo Wanne NY Bros mouthpiece is only $200 now, I have heard great things about them... but I personally am doing the second option:
Buy a used modern meyer and send it to either Phil Engleman of Phil Tones or Erik Greiffenhagen to reface. This guarantees that the mouthpiece you get will play perfectly, because a professional is putting finishing touches on it.
I got the meyer for $50-60 on reverb and the cost to reface is $110 for Erik (with shipping) and about $150-160 for Phil depending on what is being refaced. I haven't received the mouthpiece yet and haven't sent it to Erik or Phil but once I do i will let you know! So in total this option is cheaper (about $170) than the theo wanne and you know it's perfect.
I totally have to disagree with this. It’s no guarantee the mouthpiece comes back perfectly at all. I never had that experience.
You will be better off with trying a few vandoren (oh yes they are good) D’addario and stock Meyer (there are plenty good ones).

·
13,424 Posts
I totally have to disagree with this. It’s no guarantee the mouthpiece comes back perfectly at all. I never had that experience.
You will be better off with trying a few vandoren (oh yes they are good) D’addario and stock Meyer (there are plenty good ones).
Have you sent a Meyer to me or to Eric?

Perhaps you simply made poor choices in who you had work for you.

There are hacks out there. I recently repaired a Link done by someone with quite the reputation in Europe.

It looked/measured worse than most DYI refacing by players who wreck pieces....it literally showed no signs of skill or craft....so one does have to make wise and informed choices.

The difficulty is that some players have limited experience and low expectations that they make recommendations based on a lack of knowing what a good piece even plays like.

This is the problem with the internet. All voices are equal.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Have you sent a Meyer to me or to Eric?

Perhaps you simply made poor choices in who you had work for you.

There are hacks out there. I recently repaired a Link done by someone with quite the reputation in Europe.

It looked/measured worse than most DYI refacing by players who wreck pieces....it literally showed no signs of skill or craft....so one does have to make wise and informed choices.

The difficulty is that some players have limited experience and low expectations that they make recommendations based on a lack of knowing what a good piece even plays like.

This is the problem with the internet. All voices are equal.
Yes I have. I know how a mouthpiece should play. I will say it again: players will be better off with a mouthpiece that they at least have tried.

My voice is not equal either. I’m a player and you are a refacer. You see this forum as a helpful tool in your marketing business.
I share my voice from another direction and want to say that it isn’t necessary to throw too much money down the drain.

·
13,424 Posts
I was a member of this forum long before I made mouthpieces and long before refacing pieces. My experience as a player and a mpc tech is that its not throwing money down the drain. Im willing to admit my bias but it sounds to me that you have an axe to grind that is not as clear as my accused and admitted bias.

its pretty cool how your psychic powers have determined how I see this forum and the world.

Ive posted in the past and recently that I would support the complete removal of the vendor section...including my subforum.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was a member of this forum long before I made mouthpieces and long before refacing pieces. My experience as a player and a mpc tech is that its not throwing money down the drain. Im willing to admit my bias but it sounds to me that you have an axe to grind that is not as clear as my accused and admitted bias.

its pretty cool how your psychic powers have determined how I see this forum and the world.

Ive posted in the past and recently that I would support the complete removal of the vendor section...including my subforum.
To me it sounds pretty much like a mantra that it is safe to send our mouthpieces to you. That’s why I think it was legitimate to say that you use this forum as marketing tool.

I didn’t want to get into this. You asked me if I knew your work so I just want to be honest.

·
13,424 Posts
And all this time I thought my mantra was Ooomm

I did not deny using the forum for marketing purposes.

You stated that my view of the forum was as a marketing tool which is quite and assumption.

People can chose to send a piece to me or someone else...it doesnt matter. It does matter to me that you seem to suggest that the craft is not worthy of attention.

Feel free to answer or not but Ive wasted enough time here.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts