Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am playing a Meyer 5, which I love the sound but feel very limited in terms of projection. A few months ago I bout a rico metalite m5 just to see if this $30 mothpiece was worth it, and it's not bad. It's really bright, but I just can't find a good reed combination with it and would prefer something a little darker. I know there's the vandoren v16 and perhaps the jodyjazz mouthpieces. What do you guys recommend? I just need a good jazz-focused mouthpiece under $200, has good projection, versatility, perhaps a little brighter than a Meyer but not as bright as a metalite while still retaining some of the meyer sound.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I really like the Metalites, and they can be tamed. Many people have the experience that smaller tips are brighter than wider tips, so maybe try an M7. Also, reed choice can really change things. I can't speak toward cane reeds, but for synthetics I've used Legere Classic, Legere Signature, Fibracell, and Forestone Black Bamboo. The Legere Classic and the Forestone are the darker options and really help mellow it out. I like the Fibracells, but have to work a little harder to keep the brightness in check. Legere Sigs are very nice, but cost more than the mouthpiece...

You could also try the Rico Graftonite pieces. Like the Metalites, some people love them, some hate them. They come in three chambers: A (dark), B (medium), and C (bright). I prefer the Metalites, but the Graftonites can be nice.

You can often (usually) find old Brilharts (preferably with serial numbers) for under $200, but the tip opening numbers aren't really consistent, and aren't similar to other makers.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My friend is selling his USA Selmer 7* in perfect condition with cap and lig. Comps have not sold for more than $175. It's a powerhouse but you need some chops!

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,771 Posts
The new NY Meyer pieces are supposed to be pretty great forjust under 200! Just avoid the duckbill beak ones and order from a place like TenorMadness that will be sure to provide you with the proper version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FWIW... I'm using a Beechler Long facing large chamber on my 1926 Buescher, which has a bright sound and the Beechler mellows it out. They also have a med and small chamber and go for about $150+/-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,397 Posts
Its the player who plays jazz, not the mouthpiece. If you have a good mouthpiece, you have a good mouthpiece.

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,771 Posts
Its the player who plays jazz, not the mouthpiece. If you have a good mouthpiece, you have a good mouthpiece.
While I agree this is mostly true, I'm not about to break out my beechler belite to play classical. The current piece may cause some hindrance in his playing, as I have felt myself, so a slightly upgraded piece isn't a bad option

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
+1 on the d'Addario Select Jazz. It's almost as good as my Ted Klum Focustone Acoustimer, if a bit edgier and a bit harder to control--maybe because of the facing? Very well made though, with a really great lower end.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,397 Posts
Its the player who plays classical, not the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
If you want to go darker than a Meyer, first of all you could try a Meyer large chamber, then maybe a hard rubber Link. Either should be well under $200.

·
14,268 Posts
I totally agree with 1saxman. I've seen too many examples in my many years of playing saxophone to come to any other conclusion. Do not buy into the mouthpiece-makers' marketing jargon. Find a mouthpiece you like (and I emphasize YOU, not me) and play any kind of music you want to push through your saxophone.

Every one of us is different - we mostly achieve what we are capable of achieving on mouthpieces and that defies similarities in results. Even though Meyers seem to be the industry standard on alto, there are enough variances among players that we just can't say, "One size fits all." Or that because MY alto Super Session F plays dark for me, that it will play dark for you.

I can make MY alto Meyer 6S-M brighter or darker by changing the reed. Each reed is different, too, so in addition to experimenting with reed brands and strengths, realize that each reed may give you a change in warmth or aid projection, even it is from the same box. DAVE

·
Registered
165 Posts
+2 on D Addario select jazz! The 6 is a little brighter than the 7 or 8 but they all work great for me and very versatile

·
Registered
708 Posts
+1 on Phil doing refacing, he's great and it'll be your cheapest option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
+100% on philtone. If you have sense that a mouthpiece has the right core sound, he is amazing at working to get what you want on the spectrum of darker/brighter and he turns dogs into songbirds. I’ve played several Meyers he’s worked on and they all have the singing/resonant thing. Have two eclipse tenor pieces he made intentionally different and each does exactly what he said it could. Guy is really good and Meyers appear to be a specialty of his. Super knowledgeable, professional, helpful craftsman.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts