Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few people from the Boston area so, I thought I would put the word out that there is a nice jam that has recently started in Quincy on 3A (just before the ship bridge rotary). It's a good hang with some seasoned vet's and the younger set. Wednesday nights at 9PM-1AM. It's mostly a revolving house cast but led by Renato Malavasi on drums whose got a great feel and sensitivtiy and has some wicked good latin chops too.

Anyway, it's really in need of support. The owner of the place is trying to give it some time. But, it's up to all of us right? Help keep it alive!!!

My House Jazz Jam
When: Wednesday Nights 9PM to 1AM
Where: My House http://www.myspace.com/myhousequincy
609 Washington Street
Quincy, MA
Phone: (617) 328-6060

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that.. I'd love to make it sometime.

The one thing that's tough is the time -- hard for us old folks to START playing at 9 PM on a weeknight. 9 - 1 seems more like a time slot suited to bringing in Berklee students or pro musicians; hopefully lots of those will support the jam (is it close to a T station?).

Also, I could be mistaken, but the core audience for jazz (the ones buying the drinks) might tend to skew to an earlier bedtime on a weeknight. If the economics aren't favorable right now, an earlier time slot (say, 7 - 11) might be worth trying.

Regardless, thanks for getting the word out; I hope it succeeds for them and I'll try to make it there soon if at all possible.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty much agree with you on all points. As I'm not the leader (or a member of the band) or the manager I can only do so much. Plus, the time works out pretty well for me as I don't get off of baby duty (it's the wifes night out) until around 10:30 so I can get there at 11PM and get 2 hours in (they don't really take any breaks).

It's nowhere near a T stop. And one thing I've noticed about the South Shore is that most people don't get home til 6-6:30 and usually like to spend an our or 2 at home. Then there's the subject of Red Sox games ( a lot of people stay home and watch them). Surprisingly there's more than a few seasoned vets who come out and play. I guess they remember there was a time when the sessions wouldn't start until after the clubs officially closed.

Bottom line. I think the manager/owner has just set up his time slot for that period and he really wants jazz in there. It's kind of a low profile place so it may just need a kick in the pants.

The other thing is that there just aren't as many people interested in really listening to jazz on the south shore imo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts