Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college freshman sax major, and one of my fellow saxophonists played the Schulhoff Hot-Sonate for the studio recital. I loved the piece, but he said he had a hard time finding a pianist because the accompaniment was so difficult. The pianist he got is moving away after this year, so by the time I would be ready to play it next year, I might have a hard time finding an accompanist.

Are there any other jazzy sonatas out there other than Hot-Sonate? Would love to hear about them!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oliver Nelson also wrote a sonata. There is also the sonata by Brian Israel - the second movement is a raunchy blues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Might be worth checking out Tommy Smith Sonata and although not Sonata's Dave Heath has written a lot of cool stuff!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ramon Ricker's Jazz Sonata. I think it is most commonly played on tenor or soprano, but it looks like they have an Eb version at jazzbooks.com

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's not a Sonata but Bill Holcombe wrote 'Blues Concerto'

·
Registered
533 Posts
"Interplay" by Charles Ruggierro ... direct, transcribed quotes from jazz players in the third movement are used as inspirational material for the first two movements ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out a guy named Armando Ghidoni. He's a great writer and arranger. He's got some pretty heavily jazz influenced pieces. He's published under Leduc. He also writes/arranges quartets, large saxophone group pieces, and for many other instruments. He's also an accomplished saxophonist himself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Freshman in college? Learn this now - find an awesome accompanist and make them your best friend. Saxophone accompaniments are HARD and nobody wants to play them. When you find THE one that does (it's always just one in the whole place who'll do it and the entire studio ends up playing with that person...) cling on for dear life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts