Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the good old days there was some quality jazz on TV - some of the theme songs were quite hip, the Tonight Show Band occasionally got a jazz feature, and so on. It's much rarer now, but I am still occasionally surprised to find good jazz in unexpected places.

Before Marshall Field's department store in Chicago was taken over by Macy's, they piped in really nice jazz throughout the store. I used to enjoy taking a stroll through there at lunch just to listen. Unfortunately, no more.

WTTW, the PBS station in Chicago, has a restaurant review show called Check Please hosted by master sommelier Alpana Singh. The theme music: John Coltrane and Kenny Burrell playing Freight Train.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Chicago's O'Hare airport at the food court, they had jazz playing when I was having a bite in between 2 flights.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Olive Garden restaurants. Play a steady mix of Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Ella, Dean Martin, etc. Refreshing to hear, instead of the usual crap played while I try to keep my food down in other places.

John

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
As far as unexpected live music - I was on a tour once around 1977-1978 that took us to Tulsa and in the lounge at a hotel near the airport was a very fine guitarist, Tommy Crook doing a solo act. Later I heard from one of the guys in the band I was with that he had read a quote from Chet Atkins answering the question, "Who does Chet Atkins listen to when Chet Atkins listens to guitarists?" and Chet's answer was, "Tommy Crook". This guy was a very fine player.

I also stumbled across two teenagers at an outdoor venue playing their arses off on the theme to "Flintsones". I remember commenting to my girl friend, "you know, the music business being what it is, no one may ever hear from these guys, but these guys are going to be world class". After their set I went up and talked to the trumpet player - Wynton Marsalis, LOL. The sax player was brother Branford.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts