Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All Of You,

I'm searching for opinions about great jazz books and their authors. It can be biographies, historic information and so on...

I finished o read a book for the second time called The Master's Of Bebop - Ira Gitler and loved it. I also hears about a book about miles, when i tells some funny stories about their life and music. There are so many books about him that i really don't know witch one it is...

Any great books you recommend?

thanks

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
To Be or Not .... To Bop- Dizzy's book
Mingus by Brian Priestly ( a critical bio)
New Dutch Swing by Kevin Whitehead (the history of the amazing Dutch jazz scene )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Hear Me Talking To Ya - An oral history compiled in the 50ies when a great amount of players that created the music were still alive and could tell their stories.

I'll check out the book on the Dutch Scene - I didn't know it! ( Neither was I aware that our scene was amazing...)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for now i'm not searching for 'regional historic jazz books'. Just the traditional general ones. I will check out them. Some good advices here. thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
A couple that might be worth your time: Jazz a History by Frank Tirro. And the Birth of Bebop by Scott DeVeaux.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There a lot of books about coleman hawkins music and life....what do you think is the best one?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would avoid the Ross Russell/Bird book which, according to musicians I knew, who were there, was largely fiction (this was the opinion of Howard McGhee, Al Haig, and Curley Russell). Tirro's jazz history has lots of mistakes, too. I would go for anything by Max Harrison; Richard Hadlock (Jazz Masters of the 1920s). Anything by Dan Morgenstern and Larry Gushee.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would avoid the Ross Russell/Bird book which, according to musicians I knew, who were there, was largely fiction (this was the opinion of Howard McGhee, Al Haig, and Curley Russell). Tirro's jazz history has lots of mistakes, too. I would go for anything by Max Harrison; Richard Hadlock (Jazz Masters of the 1920s). Anything by Dan Morgenstern and Larry Gushee.
It's good to know authors whom we can trust. That's how i search many times. Thank you for your tips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts