Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Some people will tell you they sound different, but my (albeit limited) experience, and the opinion of some of the best informed and most sophisticated members of this forum, is that the material does not significantly affect the sound. The main difference is how they feel. I prefer HR, but others like metal. (HR is generally cheaper, easier to reface/modify, and I found didn't vibrate my head as much.) But the best thing is to try each and see what you like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,674 Posts
The difference lies not in the choice of material but the inner contours (chamber dimension and baffle) and the shape of the beak.

Buy one of each and see which one sucks less. :twisted:

The best modern "Otto Links" tend not to have "Otto Link" written on them. There are a host of people making Link-style mouthpieces in both STM and Tone Edge models that tend to play much better that the real thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,332 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
The difference lies not in the choice of material but the inner contours (chamber dimension and baffle) and the shape of the beak.

Buy one of each and see which one sucks less. :twisted:

The best modern "Otto Links" tend not to have "Otto Link" written on them. There are a host of people making Link-style mouthpieces in both STM and Tone Edge models that tend to play much better that the real thing.
No need to read any further, Dr. G has said it all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.