Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put up a *marvelous* live Dexter solo over There Will Never Be Another You on my blog. I'd like to note as many of his musical quotes as I can, but I've listened to this thing so many dang times I'm starting to hear *everything* as quotes or as "quotish." (Most unexpected actual sighting: "Marianne" -- as in "All day, all night, Marianne.")

So, I invite those who enjoy this sort of thing, the jazzer's equivalent of bird watching, to listen to the track...

Dexter: There Will Never Be Another You

...and see what you come up with.

Here's what I've got so far, including stuff that seems like it's ringing a bell, but might just be yanking my chain:

2:12 quote?
3:28 Laura
4:20 Ellington "Rockin' In Rhythm"? sorta?
4:24 quote? Ain't this some classical tune?
4:43 quote? I should know this one...
9:27 quote?
9:45 A well-known and oft-used quote (including by me!) -- so what the heck's the tune?!?
10:23 Marianne!
10:42 quote? A tune, yes?
11:01 Satin Doll

I'm probably missing some too! Anyone who can help me out here will be thanked on the blog, by name or SOTW handle or however you'd like to be acknowledged!

[About the track: this is from Dexter's wonderful Black Lion recordings of the late '60s. If you're not familiar with these, this is Prime Dexter. Once this research thread has run its course, I'm gonna yank the MP3 above, and cite on my blog where you can buy the recording. If you like Dexter and don't know this stuff, you need it!]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
My favorite quote by him was "on our european tours, we got to visit scotland.........we saw the loch ness monster.....he made quite an impression" something like that

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think at 2:12 the melodic fragment is just a snippet of "Star Eyes", but not enough to consider it a "quote."

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My favorite quote by him was "on our european tours, we got to visit scotland.........we saw the loch ness monster.....he made quite an impression" something like that
Not the kinds of quotes I was shooting for, Raph, but Dexter was indeed a man of great verbal quotes as well! Maybe my fave: "In nuclear war all men are cremated equal."

I think at 2:12 the melodic fragment is just a snippet of "Star Eyes", but not enough to consider it a "quote."
Yeah, I think part of what's messing with me is the snippets and "almost" references...

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kelly, could 9:45 (ish) be the old dixieland chestnut "Dinah"? Sounds like it to me. What 'cha think?

J.
I think: YOU DA MAN! Yeah, John, you nailed it -- I could not put my finger on what that was -- and I quote that tune from time to time! So dude, I'll credit you for that one when I put up the transcription!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Is that a fragment of "Taps Miller" around 4:20 (don't know how well my timer is cued to the mp3)? Rollins quotes it in "Eternal Triangle".

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I think: YOU DA MAN! Yeah, John, you nailed it -- I could not put my finger on what that was -- and I quote that tune from time to time! So dude, I'll credit you for that one when I put up the transcription!
Just send money, Kelly. :lol: Maybe I should be embarrassed by knowing it was Dinah. Does this mean I need to get out more?!

Seriously tho.....great job on all of the tranny's!

J.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Kelly, I have no timer on the playback mechanism so I can't say exactly where these are, but in the first solo section, he plays fragments from Mona Lisa and also from Star Eyes.

Sorry I can't do more. I've only got time for one listening - I've got to play (French horn) in a sectional in a few hours and before that, I also have to prepare to conduct a rehearsal this evening - and that music is flying by quickly. If I had more time, maybe I could help you out more. I love Dex and the way he incorporates quotes in his solos.

It'll be fun to see how this thread expands. I suspect with time and an Amazing Slowdowner, a lot more quotes can be excavated. Cheers!

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Youse Guys for your contributions! I really appreciate it! I've put up the transcription at my blog (Harder Bop)... I think that most of these are ambiguous as to whether they're actual quotes or are just "quotish" -- except for jgreiner's "Dinah," which is a slum dunk, and a so-far-anonymous person who emailed me a fine list with one definite winner: "I'll Never Be The Same" at 4:42-4:43. (I need to revise the blog posting to mention this last one: great catch!)

I'm gonna pull the recording soon from this thread (it will go bye-bye, you've been warned...) though I'm hesitating a wee bit because it appears the actual recording is OOP -- but Amazon does sell it as an MP3, so ... you know ... I should really remove the clip here. It's the right thing to do, and such.

But: do check it out with the transcription if you haven't -- this is GREAT Dexter!

And by the way, regarding quotes: in the blog posting I recount a little James Carter quote moment that you might find interesting...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts