Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Back again with a new video. A lot of people have let me know they really dig the vlog type videos, so here's another! Follow along for a couple gigs in Philly and New York City. I know this is a long one, but I put a lot of work into creating it and tried to include some behind-the-scenes/traveling/gig clips and also formatted the timeline a bit differently- have a look and let me know what you think! #makejazzfunagain

(also please subscribe to stay up-to-date on new videos- it really helps out!) https://www.youtube.com/davepollack?sub_confirmation=1

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Love it, Dave! Seriously. My only thought when watching these gig vlog vids of yours is that I damn well hope you're getting paid enough to deal with the miles, hours, parking, gas cost (getting stupid, isn't it?),time away from home and all of that unfortunate real stuff. One thing I certainly don't miss about the east coast is the freakin' traffic! I know the Joisey Pike is "scenic", but damn! ;-)
Keep 'em coming!

J.

·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great example of what Jazz Music has to offer currently. Very entertaining, your contributions help keep the music live and on the scene...good work.
Thanks so much! I'm glad I can show people what goes into these gigs (traveling, preparation, etc.) and what it's like to play in various venues/cities. I'll be making more, so stay tuned!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Hey Dave - when you do a big band gig like that how do you guys prep? I've played in several amateur/semi-pro big bands that have standing rehearsals but I can't imagine a band full of pro players that may live 100+ miles apart are getting together weekly to shed tunes. Do you get the music and practice it on your own and run a few spots just before the gig and then read it down? Just curious - thanks.

·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Dave - when you do a big band gig like that how do you guys prep? I've played in several amateur/semi-pro big bands that have standing rehearsals but I can't imagine a band full of pro players that may live 100+ miles apart are getting together weekly to shed tunes. Do you get the music and practice it on your own and run a few spots just before the gig and then read it down? Just curious - thanks.
No rehearsals at all. The band members are 60-70% the same each gig so most people know the book (we play mostly originals by the leader, and some of his arrangements). Also, all of the tunes are on a dropbox folder that is shared with all of us (which is great because he when he adds new tunes we can look them over before the gig, although we have sight-read new songs ON the gig on more than one occasion). Usually we know pretty far in advance when gigs are, and each section takes care of getting their own subs. Once I figure out who will be in the sax section on the gig, we send the subs a link to the dropbox folder so they can look over the charts for doubles, solos, etc.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
No rehearsals at all. The band members are 60-70% the same each gig so most people know the book (we play mostly originals by the leader, and some of his arrangements). Also, all of the tunes are on a dropbox folder that is shared with all of us (which is great because he when he adds new tunes we can look them over before the gig, although we have sight-read new songs ON the gig on more than one occasion). Usually we know pretty far in advance when gigs are, and each section takes care of getting their own subs. Once I figure out who will be in the sax section on the gig, we send the subs a link to the dropbox folder so they can look over the charts for doubles, solos, etc.
We use Dropbox more or less the same way in the funk band I'm with but it's not easy to pull off on a consistent basis for us. Kudos - very nice playing and I always enjoy your videos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts