Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all - -I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum category for this, so apologies in case it isn't...just wondering if anyone here has studied at the State University of Music and Performing Arts in Stuttgart...and in general if I can get some feedback on the jazz scene in Stuttgart (and Germany,at large) - - may be moving there next year.
Thanks!
J.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hey,
I studied there classical music and jazz, but this is years ago and I don't live in Stuttgart any more - so I can't really tell you about the state of jazz today.
I think, that the region of Stuttgart is relative wealthy in comparison to other regions and has a vibrant cultural scene. Good place for finding jobs in teaching , too.
There is, among others, a jazzclub you want to look at:
http://www.bix-stuttgart.de/
And do your "kehrwoche", if you live there!

Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know anything about jazz in Stuttgart, but I wanted to stop by and mention how much I enjoyed Stuttgart when I visited the city last summer. My grandmother was born there and it was very rewarding to see where she grew up. People might not think of Stuttgart as one of the nicer cities in Germany, but I thought it was beautiful.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Taragot is right about the cost of living. It's among the higher in Germany. I don't know what he is referring to when he writes (Taragot, maybe you can clarify) that it's a good place to find teaching jobs. What kind of jobs? And OP, the German school systems are very different than the American, and so is the musical training regarding getting a teacher's certificate.

Otherwise, Germany's a great place for jazzers in comparison to the US, but when I left in 2008, a lot of jobs were drying up. You could still fill your calendar, but sometimes you had to travel more often and further than in the past.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
To answer Garys question about teaching jobs in Stuttgart:
I think, there are more children who are learning an instrument compared to some other regions. So there are more opportunities to find a job as a sax teacher for an afternoon in the week or two. I didn't refer to public schools.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. OP - how's your German? :bluewink:

Also, if you want to attend one of the national conservatories, you should know that competition is fierce. Not to diss the Americans, but it's not too difficult to find someplace in the US that will take you. One reason is because just about every university in the US has a music program. That's a lot of programs. In Germany, by comparison, music performance/composition/conducting is only at the conservatories as a major.

Also, I believe that if you would want to get what Americans would consider a school band teacher's teaching certification, you need to go to a college that trains teachers, and these schools are not performance oriented.

Also, once you get a teaching certificate, many of the music programs in the schools are what we would consider general music. That is, you teach classes of music history and appreciation, maybe chorus, and maybe a combo or two depending on what students are available. There are usually no band-specific teachers positions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts