Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I are looking for some duets to play. We are good players so we are looking for something a little more advanced. We are classical players mainly but you can't really make money doing that around here. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Grace and Peace,
Jamey

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Transcribe what Lee and Warne were doing in the 50s or 70s. They did some wonderful Bach two part inventions too.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I'll second the Greg Fishman Jazz Duets recommendation. Most of the tunes are way beyond me, and require a more advanced player. Three CD's are included and sheets are provided for 2 same horn, and alto/tenor duets. There are four recordings incuded for each tune - both sax parts, sax 1 only, sax 2 only, and backing alone. The recordings with the sax parts are short with the head only, (1.5-2 min), but the backing tracks provide space to go 3-4 times through and are longer.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
If you can find them, there was a fun book of bebop duets by Bugs Bowers (maybe Chas. Colin Publ.)

·
Banned
481 Posts
fballatore said:
I'll second the Greg Fishman Jazz Duets recommendation. Most of the tunes are way beyond me, and require a more advanced player. Three CD's are included and sheets are provided for 2 same horn, and alto/tenor duets. There are four recordings incuded for each tune - both sax parts, sax 1 only, sax 2 only, and backing alone. The recordings with the sax parts are short with the head only, (1.5-2 min), but the backing tracks provide space to go 3-4 times through and are longer.
fishman tempos are too fast for most-- if you have a program like SLOW GOLD you can slow em and keep the pitch the same:!:

·
27,650 Posts
Nefertiti said:
I use the Bugs Bower duets with all my students. They are great. Not too hard but really fun to play. the book was just republished. It's called "50 Jazz Duets" and is distributed by www.dumontmusic.com
Thanks for the link, Steve. Good to know it's available.
Now if I could only find his original improvisation book. :)

·
27,650 Posts
saxmanglen said:
Gary, Were you thinking of Bug's book "Bop Duets"? I've got that book from many moons ago.
Thanks, Glen. We're talking about that book. What I would love to find is a book on how to improvise that he wrote sometime back in the Neolithic era :D .

As I remember, (although he also had a book on chords and scales) was that he took a sequential approach to learning how to improvise using (orchestra HIT!) the (god forbid) melody.

It's been so long I don't know if it was really that good or not. I only know I used it to my advantage at a time when there were practically no books on how to improvise and I think it would be a good balance to the so-called Aebersold chord/scale approach.

·
Registered
52 Posts
does a jazz duet mean with a rythm section accompaniment? If so, you can take pretty much any song and make it a duet. Charlie Parker Omnibook for example. Get the e flat book, and figure out the harmonies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts