Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found a live (radio) recording from Birdland NYC, recorded around 1952 (Jazz Club USA # 42 - Birdland). It's hosted by Leonard Feather and this episode features 'Arnett Cobb and his Orchestra' and the 'Lester Young Quintet'. Here is the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQJtGWsBrw

- Arnett Cobb and his Orchestra:

Arnett Cobb (ts), Willard Brown (bars), Ed Lewis (tp), Dickie Harris (tb), George Rhodes (p), Walter Buchanan (b), Al Walker (dr)

1 - Open House - 0:54
2 - Without A Word Of Warning - 4:02
3 - Dutch Kitchen Bounce - 7:13

- Lester Young Quintet:

Lester Young (ts), Jesse Drakes (tp), Joe ‘Earl’ Knight (p), Gene Ramey (b), Lee Abrams (dr)

4 - Neena: 10:21
5 - Ghost Of A Chance - 14:57
6 - Lester Leaps In - 18:12
7 - Destination Moon - 21:44

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for that. Listening to all of it was a half hour well spent. If there is anyone still clinging to ridiculous notion that Lester Young was washed up after the war, this should make it abundantly clear that he was not.

Great playing by everybody.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Listening to all of it was a half hour well spent. If there is anyone still clinging to ridiculous notion that Lester Young was washed up after the war, this should make it abundantly clear that he was not.

Glad you liked it. :)

If you want to hear Lester in even better shape, check this recently posted thread with some great recordings of 1943:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...th-Slam-Stewart-and-Sid-Catlett-(28-Dec-1943)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Thanks for posting that Peter. Interesting view into a place in time when many different styles were available to the jazz listener and the music seemed to be on every corner of the city.

Interesting personnel. I think there were 2 Ed Lewis's on trumpet in NYC at this time and I worked with one of them there in the 1990's, maybe this is my Ed Lewis. Beautiful cat and good trumpet. Arnett's pianist, George Rhodes went on to be Sammy Davis jr's pianist and music director for many years, until his death. Joe Knight was the inspiration for John Coltrane's tune "Mr Knight." Joe Knight was a barber in Brooklyn for many years. And I'm pretty sure Lee Abrams was the brother of Brooklyn tenor saxophonist and composer arranger Ray Abrams.Pretty sure the whole Abrams family was musical.

Thanks again Peter.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
- Lester Young Quintet:

Lester Young (ts), Jesse Drakes (tp), Joe ‘Earl’ Knight (p), Gene Ramey (b), Lee Abrams (dr)

4 - Neena: 10:21
5 - Ghost Of A Chance - 14:57
6 - Lester Leaps In - 18:12
7 - Destination Moon - 21:44

Enjoy! :)
Thanks Peter. Not heard this recording before. Nice to hear Lester playing another rendition of Destination Moon. Here's the other recording I was already familiar with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJmsYxhmn0I

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

What he said! ^^^ !

Thank you, Peter. I needed a Prez-O-Reeny fix... Bad!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Who was Mr. Day ?
Trypt, this is the last time I brag about what I know in front of you!!!! Man, I got no facts on that. But your question did start me to thinking. (that was that rubber you smelled burning.)

Man google the legendary Chicago drummer Ike Day. I don't know how to post links so go check out his story, man it's killer. Maybe JC was talkin' 'bout Ike Day? He was a Chicago legend and a musician's musician.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you liked the recordings @SchlockRod and @Liam.

Also thanks for sharing that other Lester clip Liam. I liked the live version a bit better, sounds more energetic (normal for a live recording) and modern (more bop oriented rhythm section) to me.

Thanks for posting that Peter. Interesting view into a place in time when many different styles were available to the jazz listener and the music seemed to be on every corner of the city.

Interesting personnel. I think there were 2 Ed Lewis's on trumpet in NYC at this time and I worked with one of them there in the 1990's, maybe this is my Ed Lewis. Beautiful cat and good trumpet. Arnett's pianist, George Rhodes went on to be Sammy Davis jr's pianist and music director for many years, until his death. Joe Knight was the inspiration for John Coltrane's tune "Mr Knight." Joe Knight was a barber in Brooklyn for many years. And I'm pretty sure Lee Abrams was the brother of Brooklyn tenor saxophonist and composer arranger Ray Abrams.Pretty sure the whole Abrams family was musical.

Thanks again Peter.
Thanks for the additional background information Julian, very interesting. There are not many things you don't know about the history of Jazz. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Trypt, this is the last time I brag about what I know in front of you!!!! Man, I got no facts on that. But your question did start me to thinking. (that was that rubber you smelled burning.)

Man google the legendary Chicago drummer Ike Day. I don't know how to post links so go check out his story, man it's killer. Maybe JC was talkin' 'bout Ike Day? He was a Chicago legend and a musician's musician.
Yeah.. I've heard(meaning 'read') about Ike Day for years. I think he's playing w/ Gene Ammons on "Stuffy" circa 1950.
One of many now almost mythical players who went to soon. Everyone said he was a baaad man on the drums .

Anyway, I wasn't sure all these years that Mr. Knight and Mr. Day were real people so at least now I know at least of 'em was !

Great insider info. from you as usual. Always a total pleasure to read your contributions .

I also agree w/ others who suggested that Prez's musical powers were NOT diminished after his military service.. no way, Jose.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Also thanks for sharing that other Lester clip Liam. I liked the live version a bit better, sounds more energetic (normal for a live recording) and modern (more bop oriented rhythm section) to me.
Peter, both recordings of Destination Moon are 'live' so I'm not sure which one you mean?

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peter, both recordings of Destination Moon are 'live' so I'm not sure which one you mean?
I preferred the version I posted Liam, but (my) taste is irrelevant (according to Seven of Nine from Star Trek Voyager)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts