Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a jazz summer camp that is worth the money i'm spending, but not just for the demigods of the jazz realm. That being said, i'm very capable of playing my saxophone, so i don't want to get stuck somewhere where i'll be wasting my time... So to summarize, i need a jazz camp for good saxophonists, but beginning jazz players? I've spent so much time looking, but i don't know what i'm looking for... Any help?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know from personal experience that the UNT jazz combo camp is for all levels of improvisers. I attended my freshman year of high school and thought it accommodated all levels of improvisers. Here's a link: http://jazz.unt.edu/node/125

I believe Jamey Aebersold's camp also has courses for all levels of improvisers.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,329 Posts
You don't say how far, or if you're willing to travel.
Blue Lake in Michigan has an adult camp and it may be worth checking into.
Most of the people who attend these types of camps are 'very capable' players.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I'm a little new here. Yes I'm willing to travel, Anywhere within a few states of Kentucky should be fine, and I'm a sophomore, so an adult camp might not necessarily be the best option. Thanks though

·
19,329 Posts
Blue Lake also offers Middle School and High School camps. You may want to check out Interlochen.
Again, MS/HS fine arts programs geared towards 'capable' players.

A little advice to you...
If you are looking for 'specific' answers it's always a good idea to include important information in your opening post.
Age, location, time on horn. What horn. Meaning alto, tenor....
Sometimes brand/model of the horn, mouthpiece and reed strength/brand is useful for those who may offer you advice and tips.

This will prevent us from wasting time answering, and prevent you from having to 'correct' us by adding something that should have been included in the OP.

Good luck finding a suitable place.

·
19,329 Posts
I don't know if your band director posts a lot of stuff in the class room, but some colleges host 'Day Camps'.
The ones in my area offer 'classes' in classical, jazz, composing/arranging, and basic 'production'.
Something like that might be an option as well.

·
Banned
49 Posts
I attended the Abersold camp last year and am planning to go again this summer. I am, I guess, an "intermediate" improviser in so far as that term means a competent amateur on the couple of dozen tunes I know well. Although quite definitely an adult, I find the camp very welcoming and intensively focused on jazz improvisation. There are lots and lots of players your age and, in my opinion given its proximity to your home, a great choice if you can arrange it around your schedule. Leave your ego at home, there's some eighth graders who wail.

SG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, thank you. Sorry if i sounded egotistical, i just don't have very much time this summer, and i didn't really want to make any bad choices and end up wasting what little i do have. Thanks again though :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I enjoyed the Litchfield Jazz Camp when I attended back in 2001. Don Braden does a good job with the program there. Suitable for ALL levels. Some good faculty too. Wayne Escoffery (who plays w/ Mingus Big Band) is there. Also great bari saxist Gary Smulyan is teaching there now from the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra.

www.litchfieldjazzcamp.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts