Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! High school bari player thats looking for a new mouthpiece!!

I currently play a school issued Yamaha 62 but its in terrible shape. However, I am looking at a few baris of my own. I play a Runyon Model 88 with a #4 facing. This works fine for the classical and ensemble charts but im looking for a bigger and fuller sound. I know its going to be hard to find a good one until i have my own horn but what would anyone suggest that i get. I prefer playing blues but am venturing more and more into jazz... I was looking at the otto link metal and berg larsen any info on those?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I personally lik ethe metal otto link STM, but the Hard Rubber (HR) Berg Larsen's are great on bari as well. A berg with a 100-115 tip and a 1 or 2 chamber should be very versatile and useful for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Whats the main difference between the metal berg larsen's and the hard rubber?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,967 Posts
try the runyon custom w/ spoiler . its the same shape as the 88 and will feel at home . when you find a good rubber berg -its hard to beat. i have many of the popular bari mpcs but always come back to the rubber berg

·
Registered
554 Posts
Try a Rico Metalite. They are inexpensive and have the "punch" you may be looking for. I recently switched from a very good Berg 120/3 ss, that I played for 10 years or so, to a Metalite on my "The Martin". The Berg is sweet and mellow....but the Metalite has the volume and edge I wanted for playing blues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Believe it or not, I used to play a C* with a Bari medium or hard plastic reed. If you have the lungs to play baritone sax, that is half the battle. I did get yelled at in concert band a lot though....LOL! I also liked a metal Otto link I used in the past for the upper register intonation and sound. This was on a relaquered Mark VI at the time:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts