Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a concert last week. Tim Garland. It was fantastic. He played soprano, tenor sax, and bass clarinet.

That was the first time I had heard a bass clarinet in a jazz setting and left me wanting more!

So the obvoius question - who else has recorded jazz bass clarinet worth listening too?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and thanks for the link

Didn't know Coltrane recorded on bass clarinet - ignorance is not always bliss!!

Any CDs you know of those two to look out for on bass clarinet?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
milandro said:
You mean aside from Eric Dolphy and John Coltrane? ;) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuiIyDxa750
Thanks for that link for Dolphy, milandro. Interesting to get such a good look at his hands when playing there as well. Amazing technique. [i didn't think Coltrane did record on bs clt but i'm not totally sure. he did on flute. erm..]

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Coltrane did record on Bass clarinet in a number of live recods (.... I can't remember which exactly...) , I am not sure about studio recordings though, anyhow, he did use the instrument in his last years when he discovered a more atmosphering playing, let's not forget though that Coltrane started as a young player on both alto and clarinets, so this instrument was't unknown to him and of course he played with serveral bass clarinetists

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
I know of aonly one recording of Coltrane on bass clarinet. It just a few notes on the instrument Dolphy left to him after he died. At least that is the story I heard, can't guarantee it is true (the recording exists though).

The two bass clarinet jazz players I recommend the most are Eric Dolphy and Louis Sclavis. If you want I can recommend the best CDs to buy since I have many from both.

Some other great bass clarinet players are Michel Portal (maybe the first of the French style jazz music on bass clarinet), Michael Lowenstern (more pop and jazz), Rudi Mahall, Ned Rothenberg, and there are many more depending how broad is your definition of jazz.

Some saxophonists (mainly tenor) double on bass clarinet like Chris Potter, Mark Turner, James Carter, etc. but usually they only play accomaniment lines and don't solo much. When they do it is usually not as good as their tenor playing (Carter is technically good on any instrument he plays but I still prefer him on tenor a lot more).

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Someone mentioned Marcus Miller. I think he does play quite a lot of bs clt and he's bloomin good at it too. John Surman gets an amazing sound on whatever instrument he picks up! One of them is bass clarinet, I think.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great information, thanks

clarnibass and others - it is the recommendation of CDs I am after so if you know of one or two I would be really grateful to hear of them

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I think it was Dolphy's mother who gave Coltrane her son's instruments after he passed away.
An other interesting tidbit; Dolphy studied bass clarinet with Joe Allard.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bob Mintzer is the friggin MAN when it comes to bass clari.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have nothing of Mintzer, so have just downloaded from iTunes:

In the Moment (bass clarinet in What's the Word and Blues)
The Body Acoustic

Looking forward to a bit of downtime with them tonight!....

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I really enjoy David Murray's playing on bass clarinet, here's a youtube clip from the jazz standard (just as a warning, this opens with a fairly lengthy bass intro, be patient). Most of his clips are on tenor, but I was able to find this one on clarinet, there may be more if your dig around. Not everyone's cup o tea I realize, but just to give another option.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Check out Chris Potter's CD Gratitude. He plays bass lines on a few tracks and takes a wonderful solo on "Body and Soul" as a tribute to Coleman Hawkins.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Man, I've seen Potter play a few times live, and he absolutely rips it up on bass clarinet. He solo'd on a few songs, I think he played a cadenza/intro into Next Best Western. If you'd want to hear, I have some live recordings of it I could email you. Not great quality, but Potter sounds great on BC. He still sounds 100% like himself, same soloing style, he's obviously reached a point with the instrument where technical ability isn't even a thought... PM if you'd like to get a few of these live tracks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not seen the Eric Dolph clip before. I'm awed. I sooo miss playing it now! There's just something very comforting thinking about hitting all those resonant low notes. My husband (who is musically illiterate) asked me what the difference between the two were. I was only too happy to tell him! :)

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Ken McIntyre, who recorded a number of albums on Prestige New Jazz in the early '60's (one of great duets with Dolphy) played bass clarinet as well as Oboe, flute and bassoon. Not too well known, but worth listening to, especially on that one and the United Artists Jazz compilation.:cool:

However, on bass clarintet, Eric Dolphy will always be the Man!

Here is a link to Ken playing bass clarinet on this album:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QL8JD8/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk12

1 - 20 of 65 Posts