Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jazz Basic Training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu2IaBaQrHo&feature=related

Hey, learning jazz is no small feat.There are thousands of books, articles, lessons, DVDs and websites dedicated to learning jazz.

There are a few things you want to consider when you’re putting together your jazz practice time routine.
First of all, your present abilities will weigh heavily on these choices. As a general rule you want to make sure that whatever you are practicing is challenging but doable.

Another major consideration is your vibe with the music. What kind of music do you want to play? What music do you like? What players do you dig? What styles do you want to master and take further?

Now, there are a few fundamental areas that make up the core of your musical training. They are as follows:

- Instrumental Technique- this is control of your axe. Topics to study would include, arpeggios, scales, scale patterns, accent patterns, range, articulation, dynamics, rudiments, coordination, etc.

- Sight-reading- this is, of course, the ability to read new material at will. You can choose appropriate material each day to hone and practice your sight-reading skills. This material could include rhythmic sight reading, reading lines with no rhythms, chords, classical pieces, music written for an instrument other than your own, etc.

- Repertoire- jazz is a language of music built on and around tunes. You should constantly seek to expand your repertoire by learning tunes from the whole library: standards, jazz tunes and modern tunes.

- Ear-training- this is your ear (pitch, harmony, rhythms, forms, articulation, dynamics etc) and responceon your instrument.

- Improvisation- this is what it’s all about–creating art in real time.

Now when putting together your practice routine a good rule of thumb is to choose just try a few fundamental areas to work on. For instance you might choose technique, improvisation and ear training. Once you decide on your plan it is important to stick to it. It is almost always detrimental to change topics on a whim. Just make some choices and stick with them. HAVE FUN!

I've also been on the go lately- booking clinics, workshops and gigs.
Check this-if your school or University is interested in my skills.My goal is to really propigate the education and advancement there of of this music.

If we as musicians and members of society want to live in a world where there is quality music and art we must see to it that our children get a good musical education in school. Those of us who are music teachers, these days, must be qualified teachers and players and, most importantly, passionate about music.

I have learned much of what I know today about music from the generosity of older musicians who took the time to share their knowledge with me.This is why I stay active in the educational scene.

Tim Price- On the Road-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaAWGW5gWo

Also last but not least, if you want to transcribe a solo check out;

Charlie Parker-EmbracableYou. Learn it by ear just to sing it with the recording.
WATCH....what happens to your phrasing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
What happened to standing outside in the sun and being called a mess of hot garbage by some *ssh*le with his hat jammed down over his eyes? It's not Basic Training unless you degrade us, destroy our self-respect, and make us earn it back a little at a time. :lol:

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happened to standing outside in the sun and being called a mess of hot garbage by some *ssh*le with his hat jammed down over his eyes? It's not Basic Training unless you degrade us, destroy our self-respect, and make us earn it back a little at a time. :lol:
THANK YOU....You made me laugh. I sure needed that...I had " onnna those kinda days" and saw this and cracked up.

Cheers to you!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Glad...just don't take it seriously!!

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts