Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a vintage Beuscher 400 bari w/ Yamaha 5C mpc, the thing is, I'm renting it and I'm buying my own sax and I need a good jazz mpc for an intermediate to pro player. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
runyons are great for volume, but for a more tonewise choice jody jazz, berg, link, you just gotta go and try loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads, til you find one you absolutely fall in love with.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Check out my profile and listen to "but not for me" in my youtube to hear a runyon custom in action.

I recommend it =].

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I recommend the Jody Jazz ESP models or Lamberson pieces for baritone.

Saxaholic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice guys, and Baritone, I'll give you my email to email me some pics of this mouthpiece.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone heard of E. Rousseau Jazz mpcs? Are they any good? What would the equivalent of medium open be compared to other brands?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rousseau Jazz Mpc

I'm primarily a pro-tenor player but have played the other saxes to varying degrees over the years. I use a Rousseau JDX 6 for the Bari sax. For me it has a pretty powerful, rich, big sound. It works well with Yamahas and the Buescher Big B I used to play. I recently purchased a Couf Superba 1 Bari that it doesn't work quite as well with, so the mouthpiece hunt will probably begin. Overall though, I would recommend them, but I don't have tons of experience with the Bari mouthpieces either...I did use the JDX models on alto as well until I discovered Morgan mouthpieces for both alto and tenor sax. You can find mouthpiece charts the show the comparisions tip opening wise and such. I think there're comprable in that regard to a Meyer or Link. I might be wrong...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight...I might be getting that Rousseau JDX 6. Just a maybe at this point though...

·
1,254 Posts
I recommend the Berg Larsen Hard Rubber Mouthpieces, especially in a Big Band setting. As open as one is comfortable with as hard a reed as is comfortable. Talk about projection!

Denis Diblasio supposedly switched to a Rousseau Jazz mouthpiece upon trying one right before he was to go onto stage at some performance he was giving. I heard this story from someone trying to sell me a Rousseau piece. If I ever meet Diblasio I intend on asking him if this is true. I personally have tried these pieces but prefer a more open mouthpiece, especially on Bari.

The Lawtons also turn up in these conversations. Never was able to find one about a 5 to try, so I can't say too much about them.

The Meyer also is one to try. Some people have expressed interest in RIAs. The World Sax Quartet was using these for a while. I don't think they still are, but could be wrong.

Don't seem to much about Dukoffs any more.

That's my two cents.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is a little bit of thread hijacking, but I figure it's better than flooding the forum with "which piece should I buy?"

I started on a customized Link STM, which I found had not enough core to its tone, took a lot of air relative to the volume it produced, and had a long facing that didn't match my pretty small mouth.

Next came the Metalite. It's got a pretty ripping sound, especially in the low register. It's kind of thin up high, though, and it doesn't like to play gently.

A vintage King 'b4' came with my ebay-purchased metalite. It plays the most beautiful open C#, a note I normally can't stand. Pretty buttery tone, less power than the metalite, but more than the STM. Mouthpiece width is in the middle, too. The rails look thinned and shaped, and the facing's really short.

Tried a runyon custom, hated it.

Anyway, I think I'm looking for a medium to closed-tip, small-chambered, medium-to-short facing piece. I want something that speaks loud and easy. WWBW is selling dukoffs, bergs, and Bari Golds for around $130 right now. I've heard that these are all pretty good, edgy pieces. Any advice on which ones might be worth trying, or how one compares to the other?

·
2,960 Posts
a rubber berg would fill this bill if you can find a good one. rouesseau also recommended esp if you like smaller tips . mine is extremly easy to play. dukoff only good for extreme conditions like trying to cut tru a very loud band.

·
Registered
502 Posts
super20dan said:
a rubber berg would fill this bill if you can find a good one. rouesseau also recommended esp if you like smaller tips . mine is extremly easy to play. dukoff only good for extreme conditions like trying to cut tru a very loud band.

I can't believe you didn't say Runyon :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've been playing a Rousseau JDX6 for a while now, and like it quite a bit. You can hear me on it by going to my sax quartet page linked below (thrascher.com).

I played a Lawton before the JDX6, and I may be playing that some more in the near future. If you can find a rubber Berg-Larsen and have it checked/straightened by one of the craftsmen on this board, you might end up with a great piece.

I've never tried the Lambersons or RPCs that folks talk about around here, but I'm curious...

·
2,960 Posts
blindside-i only make mpc recommendations on mpcs that i have personal experience with and the poster allready stated he hated the runyon custom. my runyon exp is only limited to the custom on bari sax otherwise i would have also recommended the plastic runyon quantum for bari sax as many find this a great bari mpc. bari is the only sax i dont always use a runyon on. most who try the rouesseau jdx really like it for its easy playing and low cost .

·
Registered
143 Posts
SR Technologies Pro

- simple as that!

Might be a bit too open if you're on a 5C, but it might not.

·
4,596 Posts
I played the JDX6 for a long time. I found it difficult to produce tones with compared to other mouthpieces, but the tone I was going for at the time seemed worth it: big, powerful, nasal but not so nasal as a berg, nice big band baritone sound. My sensibilities changed and now I'm playing on a Yanagisawa 5 HR. Ready to head back in the other direction at this point... I think first I should buy a bari! Having that rousseau refaced might've been a good idea, too, but alas, she's sold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts