Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our "small big band" needs to replace our "stand fronts stands". We are looking for stands for the front row saxes that are taller than our current stands so the music is easier to read. Does anyone have a brand they are using and can recommend? Thanks.

Our groups website: Mississippi Mood

·
Registered
775 Posts
As a suggestion...

Have just the front part of the the stands made, of press board, a little bit higher than what you currently have. Then attach the fronts to the post of the Hamilton stand with U bolts. This will allow each sax player to have flexibility with the height.

I've attached a photo of a big band that I played in that did the front row of stands this way. See the guitar players stand, and Bennie Maupin's stand.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,554 Posts
As a suggestion...

Have just the front part of the the stands made, of press board, a little bit higher than what you currently have. Then attach the fronts to the post of the Hamilton stand with U bolts. This will allow each sax player to have flexibility with the height.

I've attached a photo of a big band that I played in that did the front row of stands this way. See the guitar players stand, and Bennie Maupin's stand.
That works if the whole bank is mic’d - like the band you show. Otherwise, the fronts and taller stands just block the sound coming out of the saxes - already losing the battle with the brass.

I wouldn’t recommend going with taller stands, John. Better to get glasses adjusted to the requisite focal length (as I have).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,341 Posts
I have been in two big bands that use these. The 32" one is slightly taller but doesn't block the sound. You can also order a custom height. In one band, we determined that 34 inches would still work (we were all pretty tall). The other great thing is that they are incredibly light, yet sturdy enough for a heavy book. If you decide to order, be sure to order the carry bags so they don't get damaged when loading up for a gig. If you order the 40" stands (for standing players) you should order the shelf wire set. That helps keep the stand stable.

·
33,554 Posts
I have been in two big bands that use these. The 32" one is slightly taller but doesn't block the sound. You can also order a custom height. In one band, we determined that 34 inches would still work (we were all pretty tall).
Unless you sit on stools, I don’t see how that can work.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for your input. Unlike a true "big band" that has 8 or 9 brass, out group only has 3---a trumpet, trombone, and a trumpet that doubles on valve trombone. With 4 saxes, playing "small" venues, and vocal back up charts we really don't require a lot of volume per se. Our current "stand fronts put the bottom of the chart just 15" from the floor which by any standard is terribly low.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,341 Posts
Unless you sit on stools, I don’t see how that can work.
My memory may be a little fuzzy on this. It was 25 years ago and I have "CRS" syndrome. It may have been the trumpets and / or bones with the 34" stands, and saxes on the 32" ones. I do know that the 32" works for saxes, because I ordered them for another band.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a few Manhasset Short "Concertino" stands for my college big bands, and they seem to work well. They are not fronts, just a short version of a regular Manhasset. You can flatten out the top and still have a range of adjustment vertically. I think they are nice for big band saxes.

·
33,554 Posts
I think ours are about 28” - the bottom of the charts is about knee high. I’ll try to remember to take a tape to the gig tomorrow night.

Update: The bottom of the music sits at 21”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts