Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, it's been a while since i've been on here! I'm working on a project for a college class right now, analyzing jazz arrangements (particularly big band charts) of classical pieces in comparison to their original versions and I am wondering if y'all have any suggestions of pieces to check out. The primary focus is going to be on the Ellington Nutcracker but I want to use a few different pieces...some other ideas I also had were Bizet Has His Day (Les Brown), Anvil Chorus (Glenn Miller) and the Bach 2-part/Mozart's 40th done by Gordon Goodwin's BPB but I know there are more.

Thanks guys!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Gerry Mulligan wrote a great arrangement of Debussy's le plus que lente. I couldn't find it on youtube:(

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Don't know if you're going to be able to find it or not, but Skip Martin did "Scheherajazz", for large group. As I remember it, it wasn't integrated as well as Ellington's "Nutcracker". I believe Martin's arrangement was more in chunks, e.g. big band vs. orchestra, but even then, it stands in good contrast in arranging styles to Ellington's brilliants approach.

Woody Herman's band did an arrangement of "Pavane" on Road Father recording.
Of course how could we forget "Kenton - Wagner"?

Anway:
"Scheherajazz", Skip Martin
"Pavane", Woody Herman
"Kenton - Wagner", Kenton

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Don't know if you're going to be able to find it or not, but Skip Martin did "Scheherajazz", for large group. As I remember it, it wasn't integrated as well as Ellington's "Nutcracker". I believe Martin's arrangement was more in chunks, e.g. big band vs. orchestra, but even then, it stands in good contrast in arranging styles to Ellington's brilliants approach.
Definitely "chunky"...but here it is.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg75ir_scheherajazz-4_music

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
LOL, yep, that's one part, don't know about the rest, but that's pretty much how I remember it. Not very well integrated is it?

Now that I listen to it, I think Martin had the writing chops to have taken it one step further and just gone ahead and done the whole thing in swing, maybe condensing it into a shorter suite, but keeping it stylistically consistent.

Anyway, it does make a stark contrast to the Ellington "Nutcracker" showing Ellington's brilliance. Thanks for finding that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.