Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and have written down some recommendations. I'm looking for quality Jazz and/or Musical Teaching/Practicing books with Cds. Now that school is out my son needs books to practice with that have the music available. If anyone has specific books with Cds they would highly recommend please let me know.
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
G'day again,

Should have asked this on the other thread. D'oh!

How old is your son and how long has he been playing?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dog Pants said:
G'day again,

Should have asked this on the other thread. D'oh!

How old is your son and how long has he been playing?
Thanks for the reply.

My son, Max, will be 13 in August and has been playing 10 months. He took guitar lessons for 3 years, is self taught on the piano, and takes voice lessons so reading music isn't a problem. He prefers his Alto Sax to all of the above and played in his school's jazz band. He is quickly learning the value of his teacher, as he finds it difficult to practice without knowing the tempo (I don't know if that is the correct term for speed) of the song.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lenny Neihaus

When I started (i'm still only intermediate) the absolutely best resource i used was a the Book/CD Lennie Neihaus plays the blues in all keys. After learning the solos by heart (the beauty of them was that they were squarely in the jazz idiom and fairly easy to play) I then built upon my absorption of the material and created my own riffs and lines - wrote my own solos. Also if I liked a particular riff or passage a lot from one song,I would transpose it into another key. I advanced 5 years in 5 months using this book.
One thing about the Lennie Neihaus CD... amazingly he plays (alto) at least a quarter tone sharp (in relation to the accompanying rhythm section) throughout the entire CD!- which I found annoying but I got over it. The books come in C, Bflat. and Eflat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.