Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is info on a Jazz and Blues Camp for girls, grades 6-12. It is run by Jean Fineberg (sax) and Ellen Seeling (trumpet), both world class musicians, and it will be at the Jazzschool in Berkeley, CA in August. (Note - this is a day camp, not a sleepaway camp.) All levels are welcome.

http://www.jazzschool.com/html/young_girlscamp.html

Jean is not just a great player (i.e. she is on the original Sister Sledge recording of We Are Family, etc.) but also a funny and nice person and a good teacher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
huh... I didnt realize the significance of what you play in jazz or blues had anything to do with genitalia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
huh... I didnt realize the significance of what you play in jazz or blues had anything to do with genitalia.
Hi John, actually the significance of what one plays in jazz and blues has nothing to do with genitalia. Unfortunately, the jazz establishment thinks it does. I founded and co-direct the jazzschool girls jazz and blues camp with an all-woman faculty so that girls will have a good quality jazz camp experience, and will not have to deal with the absence of women faculty as role models, and and 95% male student bodies at these camps. For example, the 2013 Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops feature 63 instrumentalists on the faculty--all men. Not understanding the importance of a jazz camp for girls is sort of like not understanding why there is no Congressional White Caucus. Just sayin'...if you think having no role models for girls who come to camp is ok, then you probably won't get it. In the meantime, with the enrollments of many summer jazz camps way down, our camp has been selling out every summer since it's founding in 2009. We also will run a women's jazz and blues camp next week, also at the Jazzschool, which is also sold out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts