Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got interested in alto players that were on the scene before or while Bird became the scene. I'm thinking of guys like

Benny Carter
Johnny Hodges
Sahib Shibab
Ernie Henry
Sonny Stitt

and there are many more. Who do you have in mind? I'm especially interested in the ones that are almost forgotten today. Any Hints to records are very appreciated.[/FONT]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,111 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Forgotten alto players...
Otto Hardwicke played In a Sentimental Mood - not Johnny Hodges.
When Bebop was emerging there was this interesting alto player around - Rudy Williams.
At the time one of the hottest alto players was Willie Smith. (Edit: I just listened the clips that Paulwi offered and noticed that he beat me to it with Willie Smith, with a great Lunceford recording).

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Otto Hardwicke played In a Sentimental Mood - not Johnny Hodges.
Wow. I never knew this. It's amazing how he plays the original 'In a Sentimental Mood'. I always presumed it was Hodges because it has his trademark glissandos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
Stomp Evans (with Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers); Joe Poston (as I recall with Jimmie Noone's Apex Club Orchestra); and a guy's name who I can't recall (I'm out of state as I write this) who played with Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces in 1929. These were all very hot alto players in the original jazz idiom. DAVE

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
My fave before bird, Benny Carter, come to think on it he was during and after bird as well

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,111 Posts
We don't think of early N.O. jazz in terms of the saxophone, but Sam Morgan's Jazz Band, recording there in 1927, featured a fine alto player, Earl Fouché, who played with a very bright tone for the day.

Should also mention Bobby Davis, with the California Ramblers and Little Ramblers about that time. Not a sophisticated soloist, but very pleasant, with a light "section lead" kind of tone.

And here, from 1928, is the only extended alto solo known to be by Benny Goodman. He played the horn in many a section, but usually only soloed on it for 8 bars or so.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Let's hear it for the Starita Brothers...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts