Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Jay Metcalf - Video Description
I returned to Music Row in the Times Square District of New York City and visited with Roberto of Roberto's Winds. We talked about repairing saxophone in the heyday of Music Row and how things have changed in the last 30 years.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing that. I loved the music district in N Y back in the day. Went to Mannys, Sam Ash etc many times. Very interesting interview with Roberto. Not only are these type of places becoming scarce but sax techs are also getting scarce where I live. Most local music stores cater to guitars, bass , drums, keyboards. Mannys was one of the great music stores in N Y

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I used to like to try tenors just to see if any were better than mine. I cane across one at Ponte’s that they said belonged to Richie Kamuca that was incredible but not so much better as to trade mine in for. I’m sure somebody has that sax and loving it. I don’t remember the serial number but it was a really early, maybe 55,000 range Mark VI. with no lacquer. I seem to remember it had a high F#. That was quite a while ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts