Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month, I have had an increasing frequency of headaches, mostly during evenings. I usually only experience true headaches less than once a month, but now I am getting them every few days with what seems like increasing frequency. Tonight marked a highpoint in this streak, I experienced the first full-on migraine (i.e.; sensitivity to light, all sound, high frequencies, smell, nausea, aversion to social activity) since I was 10. Usually I can sleep off a headache but this week, it hasn't been working. I slept for two hours when this migraine started, tonight, and actually it was worse upon waking.

Coincidentally, I have also been experiencing a gradually increasing frequency of clicking and popping in my right jaw. The popping and clicking doesn't cause pain. Could this correlate to my condition? My mother has TMJ, so this has me a tad concerned.

To my knowledge, I haven't had a change in lifestyle since this trend has started. I generally have a consistent routine. I know for a fact I'm not practicing unusually long or using the computer for longer sessions. I also know my diet and caffeine intake hasn't changed. I don't drink coffee.

I only ask the forum because I would like to draw from others experiences, before I make a fuss and see a doctor. It could end up being a passing phase, but I'd like to be sure and just run it by you guys.

Thanks.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,736 Posts
I doubt that I will be alone in suggesting you reverse your activities - see your doctor before you make a fuss and ask the forum. An online forum, even one brimming with as many brilliant people as SOTW :grouphug:, is not the place to solicit medical advice.

I hope you are able to get your problem resolved and are feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt that I will be alone in suggesting you reverse your activities - see your doctor before you make a fuss and ask the forum. An online forum, even one brimming with as many brilliant people as SOTW :grouphug:, is not the place to solicit medical advice.

Thanks for the perspective. I should probably do that. It'd be nice to get this resolved before I leave for University.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
For the past month, I have had an increasing frequency of headaches, mostly during evenings. I usually only experience true headaches less than once a month, but now I am getting them every few days with what seems like increasing frequency. Tonight marked a highpoint in this streak, I experienced the first full-on migraine (i.e.; sensitivity to light, all sound, high frequencies, smell, nausea, aversion to social activity) since I was 10. Usually I can sleep off a headache but this week, it hasn't been working. I slept for two hours when this migraine started, tonight, and actually it was worse upon waking.

Coincidentally, I have also been experiencing a gradually increasing frequency of clicking and popping in my right jaw. The popping and clicking doesn't cause pain. Could this correlate to my condition? My mother has TMJ, so this has me a tad concerned.

To my knowledge, I haven't had a change in lifestyle since this trend has started. I generally have a consistent routine. I know for a fact I'm not practicing unusually long or using the computer for longer sessions. I also know my diet and caffeine intake hasn't changed. I don't drink coffee.

I only ask the forum because I would like to draw from others experiences, before I make a fuss and see a doctor. It could end up being a passing phase, but I'd like to be sure and just run it by you guys.

Thanks.
Welcome to TMJ. I have it too. Go see your dentist. There is surgery that can correct it, but it WILL alter your appearance and could affect your playing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to TMJ. I have it too. Go see your dentist. There is surgery that can correct it, but it WILL alter your appearance and could affect your playing.
Maybe they could remove my wisdom teeth while they're at it. My two upper ones are horizontally impacted. "We'll save the brain surgery for later." :white:

I kid, but I'll take your advice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I second the "welcome to TMJ" statement. Your dentist will likely present some much less invasive options than surgery, including a couple of devices designed to keep you from grinding/clenching at night and/or during the day. Before seriously considering any kind of surgery, do lots and lots of research. I did the research, and decided against it because it seems that it really only helps a fraction of patients, and for some, the problem is worsened.

Alternatively, maybe your impacted wisdom teeth are actually causing the problem???

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I didn't do the surgery either, but my sister did -- which is why I know about it altering your appearance.

One of the things I did to remedy mine, is to quit chewing gum. It's not completely gone, I still notice it when I go to the dentist and he tells me to "open wide", but taking some remedial steps can minimize it so that's not invasive. That said, if it's too far advanced, surgery may be your only option.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't experience pain when opening my jaw; if anything, tightness and mild trepidation that it'd lock or something. I've never had anything like that happen though.

I don't chew gum.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My TMJ was cured by my wife who is an Acupuncture Physician it took a lot of treatments and deep massages but it beats surgery !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,328 Posts

So, you'd recommend that CarlHeaner ignore my advice to amputate his head, or his body from his head? :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry for not responding earlier, hope you are still checking this thread and I also hope you had e found some relief. I believe you were wise to post, because I found no relief from migraines with doctors, well...almost none. Most relief came from my own learning. I suffered from migraines...like you I remember my first one, then another a year later, then a year later I was having done every week or so, then ...well, you get it. For me two things were the answer...diet...I had to quit chocolate, cheese, and chinese food. Two...I had a sleep study and now have a CPAP machine. My headaches wee usually in the morning, after a night of low oxygenated blood, so this may not be your issue. The migraine doctor did not even suggest the sleep study, did this on my own. All doctor did was prescribe something that helped me to sleep it off. Read up on migraines and see what your triggers are. I also found that stress, in combination with the food, was a factor. How's your stress? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the absence!

It seems some was related to just stress factors in daily life. Additionally, I may have minor TMJ, however this wasn't ever really diagnosed. Making an effort to give up gum completely and avoiding holding my head on my chin has helped a bit. I also started taking melotonin supplements for sleep, which helps in avoiding migraines. I haven't had a true migraine since, although headaches will crop up every once and a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts