Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the charts, but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience.

I would think a Java 2.5 would be in the Rigotti 2.5 Strong / 3 Light area. ???

(I really want a Java 2.75 strength for an old Tonalin)

What have you experienced?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I use Rico Royal 3 Bari reeds and decided to try Rigotti Gold 3 Meds, which are shown as close to the RR's on the chart I have. They were much harder. Actually, although the upper register was nice, I found the lower register a little raspy and I still prefer the Rico Royals, which seem to perform better on the low end. I hope that helps.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
I just went through this with V16 vs Rigotti Gold (tenor reeds). I found the Rigotti 2.5 strong to be very close to 2.5 V16. I don't know if that's equivalent to a Java 2.5, but I believe the V16s are slightly harder at a given number than the Java. So I would say try the Rigotti 2.5 strong if you're going for a Java '2.75.'

I can say that the Rigotti 2.5 med and light are noticeably softer than the 2.5 strong. At least the ones I tried were.

·
23,013 Posts
Hey, let us know how you like the Rigottis. Are you talking about tenor? I'm pretty impressed with the Rigotti Gold tenor reeds so far. They aren't perfect, no reed is, but they are very good.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used them before, on tenor link 7* and tenor Ebolin 5*, but I used 3M/3S/3.5L on both. I like Rigottis ok on links (I prefer La Voz) but love them on the Ebolins/Tonalins. I agree they are one of the best options out there. They feel like a great Java...but with something different to me, just a great reed. I haven't used them much on alto, but plan to give them a try on my .080 Ebolin Alto (w/ Java 2.5).

Thanks again spike421 and JL.

·
Registered
534 Posts
W'ere counting on you blue boy. I'd like to try the Rigotti Gold reeds for alto but I have the same question about the reed strength. Curious to know how you like them on alto and what strength.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
One more experience/opinion. I find a Riggotti 2.5 light to be harder than a Java 2.5.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts

·
23,013 Posts
On tenor I have found the 2.5 medium Rigotti tenor reeds to be a little bit harder than the 2.5 Java's. The alto reeds....... The Rigotti 2.5 medium felt softer than the 2.5 Java's to me.
So there may be a difference if we're talking about tenor or alto. Best to indicate which one, as usual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On tenor I like ZZ 3.5 or 4 or Java 3 or 3.5. What does that do for me with the Rigotti? I was thinking 3.5 medium or strong.

·
23,013 Posts
On tenor I like ZZ 3.5 or 4 or Java 3 or 3.5. What does that do for me with the Rigotti? I was thinking 3.5 medium or strong.
I found the chart on this website useful:

http://www.robertoswinds.com/view_product.php?prod_id=2070

They were pretty accurate in placing Rigotti 2.5 strong as equivalent to V16 2.5. I don't know how accurate it is with comparisons to other brands. What you probably need to do to be sure is buy a box that 'matches' your present reed, based on the chart, then bracket that with a box to either side, if you want to really nail it down. For ex, if the chart tells you 3 med, then get that, but also try 3 soft and 3 strong.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I found the chart on this website useful:

http://www.robertoswinds.com/view_product.php?prod_id=2070

They were pretty accurate in placing Rigotti 2.5 strong as equivalent to V16 2.5. I don't know how accurate it is with comparisons to other brands. What you probably need to do to be sure is buy a box that 'matches' your present reed, based on the chart, then bracket that with a box to either side, if you want to really nail it down. For ex, if the chart tells you 3 med, then get that, but also try 3 soft and 3 strong.
Good idea. Too bad here in Europe we don't have those soft, med and strong variations. Can you recommend a US online store where I can order these?

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thank you, ToreH. However, I went to check that site and they don't have the small variations that I want. They only have 2.5, 3, etc. I need a site that has 2.5 strong, 3 soft, etc.
I don't think you can buy that version in Europe. Actually I don't think that the Rigotti Gold sold in Europe, are the same reeds as in the ones in the US. Not sure though. It is a bit strange. Has anybody tried both versions?

Edited: Oh I can see that the link Tore mentioned actually gives you the possibility to choose "L", "M" and "S". So maybe you can get them in EU?
http://www.reedsonline.fr/contents/fr/p69.html

·
5,878 Posts
I don't think you can buy that version in Europe. Actually I don't think that the Rigotti Gold sold in Europe, are the same reeds as in the ones in the US. Not sure though. It is a bit strange. Has anybody tried both versions?

Edited: Oh I can see that the link Tore mentioned actually gives you the possibility to choose "L", "M" and "S". So maybe you can get them in EU?
http://www.reedsonline.fr/contents/fr/p69.html
Yes, that's why I wanted to try a US online shop to try some of these and compare them.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On tenor I have found the 2.5 medium Rigotti tenor reeds to be a little bit harder than the 2.5 Java's. They are perfect. The alto reeds.......I prefer the 2.5 strong compared to the Java 2.5. The Rigotti 2.5 medium felt softer than the 2.5 Java's to me.
Thanks again everyone for the information about Rigotti Golds.

After playing 2.5 Medium and 2.5 Strong I 100% agree with Neff's assesment on Tenor.

Personally, I settled on 2.5 S since I was looking for a Java 2.75 strength. The funny thing is this is for a .085 Tenor Tonalin! Normally I'd use around a Java 3.5 strength, but this piece really likes soft reeds. (I got it from 10mfan and he told me this up front) I guess it has a really long facing curve?? (It had been refaced before I got it)

I really like this small tip/long facing combo. It is so easy to play and sounds fantastic.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts