Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a music student and I am now doing the Concerto for Alto Saxophone by Jascha Gurewich. I need to do some research about him but the only thing I can find is his name appear on the saxophone historical timeline and a photo he took with a sax quartet. Is anyone know where I can find more information about him? Or is anyone know anything about him?

Thanks alot for the help!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi i'm having the same trouble, i just bought the concerto cause i saw it cheap and thought i'd give it a go, but now when i'm researching theres no information on him whatsoever except in that timeline which say he died in the 30s which gives me an idea of the period he's from

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,886 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,886 Posts
Here is a link to my article about Jascha Gurewich. Tons of new information, for example about the fact that he did not give the first saxophone recital in the USA on 31.1.1926 (Aeolian Hall) but already in 1923 in Carnegie Hall. http://www.suomensaksofoniseura.fi/?attachment_id=487
I didn't realize i was replying to an ancient thread. Great article Olli-Pekka, thanks for doing the research and publishing the results.

I wonder about a couple of things. 1) Did he really have a solid gold Buescher alto (I'm skeptical), and if so, what happened to it and 2) I wonder if he has any living descendants.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
517 Posts
Here is a link to my article about Jascha Gurewich. Tons of new information, for example about the fact that he did not give the first saxophone recital in the USA on 31.1.1926 (Aeolian Hall) but already in 1923 in Carnegie Hall. http://www.suomensaksofoniseura.fi/?attachment_id=487
Olli-Pekka's article is one of the best researched and written historical articles you will find. A must-read!

Paul Cohen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.