Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,131 Posts
this player would sound fine on a good set up,(HR Link, say a number 7* with a 2.5 reed)
I agree the demo is pretty poor (mascio is being too humble, I bet he sounds better than this guy).

But how do you know this player would sound any better on a different mpc; what makes you think it's the mpc?

p.s. Just read your last post above and yes, those would all be signs of a poorly-designed mpc, but they are also the signs of a poorly-developed player (or a typical beginner, still trying to get his sound together). How do you know which it is?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,896 Posts
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree the demo is pretty poor (mascio is being too humble, I bet he sounds better than this guy).

But how do you know this player would sound any better on a different mpc; what makes you think it's the mpc?

p.s. Just read your last post above and yes, those would all be signs of a poorly-designed mpc, but they are also the signs of a poorly-developed player (or a typical beginner, still trying to get his sound together). How do you know which it is?
you and i both know that the best player will sound dreadfully average if asked to play with a bad mouthpiece and bad reed. the horn could be a student horn and it would not make that much difference. but a bad mp & bad reed. well that's another story. and that's why we give our students easy playable setups. so they can develop there tech. correctly. how do i know? well it could be both sure. my point is to have information out there so that people thinking of buying one of Mr Jary MP's from ebay or where ever can easily find out and research what they could be getting them selves into. ive been poorly let down buy my dealings with Jary. i hope know one else does.

HERE IS ANOTHER BAD STORY ABOUT JARY CUSTOM MOUTHPIECES BY OUR GOOD FRIEND JAZZZZNBLUEZZZZ POSTED 24 HOUR AGO

Re: Let's Be honest Here..wasn't as great as I thought

OMM, thanks for clarifying. I agree Ebay can be a pain sometimes.

I have experience with dealing with Mr. Jary directly and had good experiences close to 10 years ago when I
bought a refaced Woodwind Steel Ebonte tenor mouthiece from him through his website. It is still a killer player for me.
About 4 years ago I decided to send him two stuffy playing metal Links on which he did an equally great job. The plating
job he did was a real disaster though. More than 60% has worn of. In fact it already started to come of the first week I got them.
Anyway they both play very good. I don't care much for the looks but do care most about the sound so I decided to leave it at that.

Over a years ago year I had the need for a backup for the tenor Woodwind since it had made several nose dives
and while still playing decent I imagined the risk of fatal damage and loosing one of my favorites. Mr. Jary gave the impression he remembered
exactly what mouthpiece I had purchased from him back then and he would make an exact replica. After about 6 months I received
a ... modified vintage Vito ALTO (!) mouthpiece. The minute after unpacking I sent him a mail stating he must have made a mistake
by sending me the wrong mouthpiece as I had ordered a tenor mouthpiece. In the next replies Mr. Jary tried to convince me
in very strong words I was all wrong and that I should not question his professionalism and that this was undisputedly a tenor mouthpiece.
Well, I am not a mouthpiece guru but I was not born yesterday either. I happened to have several alto mouthpieces and the Vito was even
smaller than these. I did try to play it though on my tenors and I must admit it really had a great singing tone. However it played way out of tune and
there was no way I could get it right. I then made clear to him that I was not happy at all and that it was totally unuseable for me and that I
wanted to return it and demanded a refund. Realize that for communicating through email with Mr. Jary you have to be a real Houdini
and follow a course of Anger Management. Or a few stiff drinks. So after an intensive stressful energy absorbing email conversation ( I got a
lecture that the #3 reeds I used were way to thick and I would play out of tune with these anyway ?!) Mr. Jary eventually agreed he would make
a new mouthpiece instead of a refund.
And yes, he actually did! After keeping sending him friendly emails to keep the contact and conversation going and not hurt his ego for almost another 6 months
I finally received a... TENOR mouthpiece. Wow!
Unfortunatly it is totally different from the large chambered Woodwind. It has a thinner body had a narrower ML chamber design. And unfortunatly I was not
able to get one decent note out of it... Very frustrated I gave up and accepted my loss. I decided to send it to Kai Siebold, a reputed german mouthpiece
designer and refacer. After he examined the mouthpiece he sent me an email adressing several issues a bad mouthpiece can have.
Mr Siebold managed to turn it in a great dark player like it should have been in the first place. Still very different to the Woodwind but alas. I have learned my lesson.
Long story short. I don't know what went wrong with Mr. Jary in the last couple of years. But as it stands now I am inclined to think
that his heydays are way behind him.

So to get back to the topic: Yes it wasn't as great as I thought.

156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can find a bad demo for every mouthpiece out there if you search for it. Different players are at different levels. I've reviewed a few jary mouthpieces way back when on my site and i thought they played well for me............

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
would you buy one off him?......be honest now! ;->

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,601 Posts
I can't believe people do mouthpiece demos using crappy recording gear. Have some self respect.

Now if he still sounds like that even with a quality mic and preamp...well, that's a whole 'nother issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
I wouldn`t risk purchasing from that guy again. One Mpc I bought from him was a great one , the 2nd purchased made me crazy. 3 times wrongly made after dozens of emails and extensive communication. Bad words and insults, high price at the end sold the piece for 1/4 of the paid price.
There are many good Mpc makers out there with a wonderful character to deal with. Mojo, 10Mfan, CE Winds ... the list goes on.

156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn`t risk purchasing from that guy again. One Mpc I bought from him was a great one , the 2nd purchased made me crazy. 3 times wrongly made after dozens of emails and extensive communication. Bad words and insults, high price at the end sold the piece for 1/4 of the paid price.
There are many good Mpc makers out there with a wonderful character to deal with. Mojo, 10Mfan, CE Winds ... the list goes on.
great to receive your honest account and contribution. this will know doubt shine the ever so bright light of truth on this dark dishonest imposter.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,131 Posts
you and i both know that the best player will sound dreadfully average if asked to play with a bad mouthpiece and bad reed.
Probably not that bad, but yes I agree a really bad mpc & especially a bad reed will make it very difficult for any player to get a good sound. I'm just saying that video clip proves nothing; it could be partly the mpc, the horn, the reed, with a healthy contribution from a beginning player who hasn't got his sound together yet. No way to know for sure.

But, having read that story regarding Mr Jary, I would never, ever buy one of those mpcs. But I would always do a bit more research when buying a mpc than just read the hype on a webpage, and in general I don't buy anything I can't try first.

So two separate issues: An unethical or clueless businessman selling dodgy mpcs is one thing, and I think it's good to put these experiences out here, assuming they are true (no reason not to believe them). But putting up a poorly-recorded sound clip by an amateur player is not going to prove that the equipment he is playing is faulty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
I refuse to watch any more videos where all we see is the bell of a horn and the belly of a player.

156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably not that bad, but yes I agree a really bad mpc & especially a bad reed will make it very difficult for any player to get a good sound. I'm just saying that video clip proves nothing; it could be partly the mpc, the horn, the reed, with a healthy contribution from a beginning player who hasn't got his sound together yet. No way to know for sure.

But, having read that story regarding Mr Jary, I would never, ever buy one of those mpcs. But I would always do a bit more research when buying a mpc than just read the hype on a webpage, and in general I don't buy anything I can't try first.

So two separate issues: An unethical or clueless businessman selling dodgy mpcs is one thing, and I think it's good to put these experiences out here, assuming they are true (no reason not to believe them). But putting up a poorly-recorded sound clip by an amateur player is not going to prove that the equipment he is playing is faulty.
any discussion on this forum about the pitfalls of dealing with Jary Custom Mouthpieces is a good discussion. my aim was to get one started and thanks to you all its chugging along nicely;->
ps
much appreciated, if this thread just saves one aspiring saxophonist from being ripped off then it has served it's intended purpose!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
music=listening.......shut your eyes buddy!
I could, but..
Players with cheap mics and no recording expertise demonstrating sax gear on Youtube, with it's awful sound quality just doesn't make any sense to me.
If you want people to listen to your sound, at least upload a good quality track.

156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
attention....this is on ebay now from china

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-grade-...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e8babcf5

High grade Metal Saxophone Mouthpiece Tenor Sax MPC Gold plated size 5-9

Price:
US $38.90
Buy It Now

&

ALSO ON EBAY RIGHT NOW............ JARY CUSTOM.............EXACT SAME MOUTHPIECE......... BUT HACKED UP.........AND $239

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171428605820?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Incredible Custom Lawton B Style Tenor Mouthpiece. Blows Away New Lawtons. .110"

AND CHECK OUT SALES RHETORIC

Welcome from Dave Jary at Jary Custom Mouthpiece. All mouthpieces shipped within 48 hours (at the most) by USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Eighteen years experience making the finest all hand made custom mouthpieces. Each Jary Custom Mouthpiece is all hand worked from start to finish, one at a time! No production style mouthpieces. No stock photos and descriptions. All photo's are of the actual mouthpiece you are buying ( except that I re-use Lawton & King photos because I make these all hand made pieces virtually identical each time). (HILARIOUS) I stand behind all of my work and offer free adjustments (just pay shipping). Always buying, selling and trading. Also, send yours or buy mine any time. I do the majority of my business offline so please feel free to contact me about custom mouthpieces made to your preferences. Check out my website at jarycustom (with the usual web address prefix and ending) for more custom mouthpiece information . Or call (518) 681-9916. Ebay deals! Find out why pro's all over the world play Jary Custom Mouthpieces.

About This Mouthpiece

This is a great Ebay price on an incredible all hand worked Lawton B style .110" Tenor saxophone mouthpiece. Thi is the perfect blank for my custom made Lawton style mouthpieces (read below for more information on this blank). I can also make this piece for you in other tip openings and/or in the Lawton BB model if you prefer. Just click "Buy It Now" and call me at 518 681- 9916 (or email me). I will make it for you right away. This precision hand worked mouthpiece blows away the new Lawton's. I am sure you will agree this mouthpiece is of the finest quality. No effort is spared in creating a hand made mouthpiece that plays and sounds great! This B style piece gives you a big, rich core sound combined with plenty of power and projection that never sounds harsh, thin or overly bright (see para. below for more info.). All of the new Lawton's are basically 100% machine made (it's true). Why keep spending money, struggling and taking chances on one production made mouthpiece after another. I make this mouthpiece from a super high quality, CNC Machined, (CHINESE PIECE OF RUBBISH) solid brass import blank which I meticulously hand work (tip, table, facing, chamber, bore, etc.). This sturdy Lawton style overhead screw ligature (slides into grooves on the sides of the body. Cap included). is very sturdy and holds the red beautifuly. It reduces ligature contact with the mouthpiece and adds resonance. These blanks are not set-up to play when I get them. I spare no effort extensively hand working each piece to give you custom performance, feel and sound that you will appreciate!!

This mouthpiece is intentionally set-up to produce an extra big, rich core sound combined with plenty of power and projection that does not sound thin or overly bright and edgy. This is a very versatile mouthpiece that allows you to be heard in virtually any music style without the unwanted harsh edge. The high end is strong and flexible and blows freely. You get an extra meaty, easy blowing low end which is a nice plus in a powerful metal mouthpiece. The custom step baffle is carefully hand shaped to produce the desired blend of body and projection. I can make this step baffle into a bullet baffle, but the step baffle is more sophisticated. The bullet style chambers are named as such because the tip of the drill bit that is used to bore the mouthpiece is what makes the bullet shape. Bullet bores can be considered the less expensive, easier to make alternative to a step baffle. This piece has a medium chamber with semi-rounded inner sidewalls. The throat is open and allows plenty of air flow. The hand made custom facing and .110" tip opening combination is hand created to give you exceptionally free reed vibration and an incredibly responsive feel that will blow you away. It is not stuffy or resistant. You can play it whisper quiet or wide open with the same consistant sound and performance in all registers. I highly recommend this incredibly cool custom mouthpiece. It's a keeper and you will love it.

WOW, THIS POOR FOOL NEEDS TO SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!!

156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could, but..
Players with cheap mics and no recording expertise demonstrating sax gear on Youtube, with it's awful sound quality just doesn't make any sense to me.
If you want people to listen to your sound, at least upload a good quality track.
compression and reverb....with a nice backing track....mixed and mastered.....yeah right buddy, sure that's what its all about....not!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
:laughing: LOL

what a smart business idea. Buying blanks from China, giving them a refacing and charging 200U$ for that. Not bad :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts