Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Oh pooh. So much misinformation here.

There are hundreds of aluminum alloys. There are dozens of aluminum alloys used in aircraft. There is NO SUCH THING as "aircraft grade aluminum". Go to "Matweb" and look up Aluminum alloys for an education.

I suppose it's possible to weld aluminum to steel, but it would be expensive and complicated due to the very great difference in melting points. I'm willing to bet you that you do NOT have spot welds of Al to Fe in that ligature. It's far more likely that the band is sheet Al, spot welded to bar Al for the two bars (and the whole thing's probably 6061 T6 as this is one of the very most common alloys and offers good strength, weldability, formability, and machinability).

The colored anodizing is one of the most common finishes for aluminum. There is NOTHING special about it for at least the last 50 years.

The posters who said "make sure and keep the threads well lubricated" are correct, it's even more critical if the screws are Al (there's no need on earth to use Al screws, they're actually a much worse choice in 99% of applications than plain old Zn plated steel, or even brass, and galling of Al and Al is a very serious problem). I will add that if the screws are Al, you should use antiseize or molybdenum disulfide lubricant in preference to plain oil. You've got high pressure slow speed sliding motion there, the perfect condition for thread galling, and plain oil is pretty weak in EP lubricating properties. I'd check the screws to see if they're Al or Fe, I bet they're Fe.
Honestly why check it? I'm going to play the H e l l out of it and see if parts start flying off.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks, Guto. That helped.

I love me some creative ad speak! “Cutting edge motorcycle design...”. What?

P.S. Wondering about the video - can a person, allegedly actively playing for the Air Force band, do promotional videos?
I didn't pay attention to the bloviated advertising. I bought it because it's different and I like trying new gear. Checking out new gear is exciting for me and regardless of what happens it is
the experience I seek.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oh pooh. So much misinformation here.

There are hundreds of aluminum alloys. There are dozens of aluminum alloys used in aircraft. There is NO SUCH THING as "aircraft grade aluminum". Go to "Matweb" and look up Aluminum alloys for an education.
course there is - just coz' you ain't aware of it or perhaps the Terminology hasn't passed your ears yet or perhaps you enjoy being pretentious and all too consumed with your own opinion.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
course there is - just coz' you ain't aware of it or perhaps the Terminology hasn't passed your ears yet or perhaps you enjoy being pretentious and all too consumed with your own opinion.

Go ask a machinist to make you a part out of "aircraft grade aluminum" and he will say "what alloy do you want? 2024, 6061, 7075?"

But I suppose those who don't have knowledge often regard those who do as "pretentious". Sorry, not sorry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go ask a machinist to make you a part out of "aircraft grade aluminum" and he will say "what alloy do you want? 2024, 6061, 7075?"
Right, and take the point further, some aircraft parts will be made from conventional alloys that are good enough for the purpose, and some other parts will be made from exotic and expensive alloys that we can be sure get nowhere near most products which are said to be made from "aircraft grade aluminum". The term is too broad and without specificity it's just empty advertising jargon.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm cracking up over here reading that over the top back and forth about a simple mouthpiece ligature. :)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I like good ligatures, and dislike bad ones. I could care less about marketing, which I look upon as a blatant attempt to extract more money from unsuspecting rubes. I hope this ligature proves to be one of the good ones, though I doubt I would buy one because it's pretty expensive.

I like the name of the company sayBb, but it makes me wonder if the ligature will work on an alto....

41 - 49 of 49 Posts