Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Beats pulling your nasty shoelace to tie down your reed when your boutique aluminum ligature cracks two minutes before the gig!
LOL! You are funny. I have so many ligatures I doubt that what you are suggesting will be necessary but thank you for that lovely visual. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,586 Posts
Keep the threads well-lubricated to avoid galling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,785 Posts
You would want to lubricate those screws frequently and keep them clean. That is a snazzy-looking lig.

LOL! G, I didn't even see your post about the lubricant before I posted the same thing.

·
33,586 Posts

·
33,586 Posts
Are you sure about that? On their website, under technology they imply it’s all aluminum. No mention of steel anywhere.

btw the company is called sayBb.
Thanks, Guto. That helped.

I love me some creative ad speak! “Cutting edge motorcycle design...”. What?

P.S. Wondering about the video - can a person, allegedly actively playing for the Air Force band, do promotional videos?

Reactions: BrianMitchellBrody

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
One needs to draw a distinction to aluminium and Aircraft Grade Aluminium which is a fabulous material. An aluminium band welded to a steel plate? hmm,

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
here is where they show a cross section of the ligature at the screw nuts, referring to aluminum. nothing about steel or welded steel plate. that black part looks more like a superficial coating to my eyes.

·
33,586 Posts
FWIW, that is a metallography mount - not prepared for electron microscopy. A mount needs to be electrically conductive for SEM.

Sure, aircraft-grade aluminum is a fabulous material - for an appropriate application.

Mmmm, shiny...

Reactions: BrianMitchellBrody

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The aircraft grade bits and pieces of my beloved Ducati motorcycle have never failed even at 200KPH across some decidedly ugly surfaces. Its solid, safe, secure and reliable. hmm, maybe that's why they use in aircraft!

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
One needs to draw a distinction to aluminium and Aircraft Grade Aluminium which is a fabulous material. An aluminium band welded to a steel plate? hmm,
Oh pooh. So much misinformation here.

There are hundreds of aluminum alloys. There are dozens of aluminum alloys used in aircraft. There is NO SUCH THING as "aircraft grade aluminum". Go to "Matweb" and look up Aluminum alloys for an education.

I suppose it's possible to weld aluminum to steel, but it would be expensive and complicated due to the very great difference in melting points. I'm willing to bet you that you do NOT have spot welds of Al to Fe in that ligature. It's far more likely that the band is sheet Al, spot welded to bar Al for the two bars (and the whole thing's probably 6061 T6 as this is one of the very most common alloys and offers good strength, weldability, formability, and machinability).

The colored anodizing is one of the most common finishes for aluminum. There is NOTHING special about it for at least the last 50 years.

The posters who said "make sure and keep the threads well lubricated" are correct, it's even more critical if the screws are Al (there's no need on earth to use Al screws, they're actually a much worse choice in 99% of applications than plain old Zn plated steel, or even brass, and galling of Al and Al is a very serious problem). I will add that if the screws are Al, you should use antiseize or molybdenum disulfide lubricant in preference to plain oil. You've got high pressure slow speed sliding motion there, the perfect condition for thread galling, and plain oil is pretty weak in EP lubricating properties. I'd check the screws to see if they're Al or Fe, I bet they're Fe.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Are you sure about that? On their website, under technology they imply it’s all aluminum. No mention of steel anywhere.

btw the company is called sayBb.
OMG! I can't believe I left off a b. I'm so very sorry for my dereliction ;)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
$96.50 for a two screw ligature. I'll pass. I can get a two screw lig plus an end plug on Amazon for $7.99 + shipping. It's not as pretty but it does the same thing. That's my grumpy old bastid rant for today.:rolleyes:

View attachment 10662
Well that's fantastic ATS! I'm glad you found what works for you. For me I have made it a hobby of mine to try new products and that makes ME happy. Different strokes man.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
FWIW, that is a metallography mount - not prepared for electron microscopy. A mount needs to be electrically conductive for SEM.

Sure, aircraft-grade aluminum is a fabulous material - for an appropriate application.

Mmmm, shiny...
Indeed.......shiny :sleep:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts