Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have intrigued me for awhile so I purchased a tenor ligature to check it out.

This is by far the lightest ligature I have ever owned. It practically weighs nothing but the material is extremely solid with absolutely no flexing or bending.

The bolts are larger than average ligs and it gets a nice tight seal on the reed and mouthpiece. I purchased the tenor which is based on the size of a

Vandoren Java series but I have found it fits my vintage Selmer Soloist perfectly as well as my Borb Oliver Baritone mouthpiece.

I will post how it performs asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,206 Posts
Interesting. Is the threaded (black) portion of the ligature made of steel or some other metal? I'd be worried about the longevity of those threads if they're also made of aluminum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
Interesting. Is the threaded (black) portion of the ligature made of steel or some other metal? I'd be worried about the longevity of those threads if they're also made of aluminum.
I agree that the threads and joints are a question mark. Aluminum is a poor candidate for this application for many reasons. I anticipate that it won’t be as durable as a brass ligature of similar design.

Reactions: deltamikesierra

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black part is steel as are the screws and the band is aluminum.

·
33,589 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,962 Posts
Are they glued together? Is the band bent into that shape from a sheet or cut from a tube?

It seems like it would probably work fine as long as the ligature already fit your mouthpiece well. Bending aluminum much outside of the shape it's already in tends not to work well, in my experience with bike junk. But if it just needs to operate in the shape it's already in at the super low torque levels that ligatures see it would probably work OK, right?

·
33,589 Posts
These have intrigued me for awhile so I purchased a tenor ligature to check it out.

This is by far the lightest ligature I have ever owned. It practically weighs nothing but the material is extremely solid with absolutely no flexing or bending.
Have you ever tried the Charles Bay ligatures? They are nicely made and quite light. I find compliance beneficial in accommodating slight differences in reeds.

Reactions: BrianMitchellBrody

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever tried the Charles Bay ligatures? They are nicely made and quite light. I find compliance beneficial in accommodating slight differences in reeds.

I had a couple Bay ligatures that I bought from his estate after he died but they were simply just okay. I bought this one to use on my Selmer Soloist because finding a 402 is becoming difficult and expensive and they are sharp looking.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,206 Posts
It does look kind of neat. And it seems like it was made for that specific mouthpiece (i.e., the angle seems to follow the table almost exactly).

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a few minutes here to spare and I did a quick test and wow it really opens this soloist up! I usually use a Vandoren ligature and it sound more subdued than with this aluminum one. 1 minute of playing is not a determinate but it fits very well and the tone is larger.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does look kind of neat. And it seems like it was made for that specific mouthpiece (i.e., the angle seems to follow the table almost exactly).
The man who makes them told me he used Vandoren Java series as his basis for size.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It does appear from the website that the whole assembly is aluminum. Based on the photos I wouldn't be surprised if even the screws are aluminum. If the threads are well designed (and they make a big deal about their formed construction) that doesn't necessarily mean disaster.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does appear from the website that the whole assembly is aluminum. Based on the photos I wouldn't be surprised if even the screws are aluminum. If the threads are well designed (and they make a big deal about their formed construction) that doesn't necessarily mean disaster.
Let me ask him again about the construction. It is possible he did not understand my question because of the language barrier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,962 Posts
My experience threading steel and aluminum bolts into threads cut into aluminum parts on bikes (stems, mostly) is that it can work fine if the threads are well-cut. Ligature screws don't see very much torque applied, so if everything is well made, it's probably fine. You can always throw a rovner into the case as a precautionary measure for a gig.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My experience threading steel and aluminum bolts into threads cut into aluminum parts on bikes (stems, mostly) is that it can work fine if the threads are well-cut. Ligature screws don't see very much torque applied, so if everything is well made, it's probably fine. You can always throw a rovner into the case as a precautionary measure for a gig.
Rovners? Naw..... tone sucking

1 - 20 of 49 Posts